Fell Victim to the Hungry Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theARNSKI, Nov 4, 2009.

1. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Yep, just a friendly reminder, please disable your guest account on your SL running Macs.

So I went into class today, ready to take notes on my MacBook as usual. Turned it on. Started chatting with a buddy of mine. Accidentally clicked on my guest account. Logged out of it. Logged into my Admin account. Empty. Lost all of my notes, papers, lab assignments, etc. All into the belly of the hungry snow leopard. Crossing my fingers for being able to restore it later (only if I can find my SL install cd around my cluttered room).

Not really sure why it would've happened now. After installing SL some months back, my iChat video chat acted up. I looked for solutions and someone recommended me to try it on my guest account to see if the problem was user related. Logged into my guest account and logged out of it and into my admin, it was fine. And I also left my guest account on because my brother sometimes uses it when I'm not home.

Damn.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sorry. :(
    If you find out why that happened, be sure to tell the world.
    It's obviously not supposed to mess things up at all.

3. theARNSKI thread starter macrumors regular

If I was capable of figuring it out, I would, but I'll leave that to the higher ups. Apparently, there have been a number of cases like this, starting shortly after the release of SL.

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

yup.. there has.. no one is entirely sure why.. All of us on here are hoping that apple bring a fix in 10.6.2. It has reportedly been very sporadic n not entirely traceable.. hmmm..

Hope you had a back up :)

PTP

5. theARNSKI thread starter macrumors regular

Yikes.

Ok I'm getting real nervous here now.

I tried looking for my SL install disc, but I can't find it. I can only find my Leopard disc that came with my laptop.

And for some reason, I'm starting to think my Time Machine was wiped clean as well because every time I try to open it up, it wants me to set it up and every time I try to, they won't show me any back up disks or anything.

Can anyone help?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're worried about time machine, just manually go to the time machine volume and look at the backups. You should see many folders under the main folder which I think is your computer name (I'm going on memory). There should be an alias for the latest backup as well.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It amazes me how often I read "I can't find my install disc."!!! Treat those things like gold! Find a spot to put them all, and always put them there.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

This is indeed a confirmed bug in SL and 10.6.2 is supposed to fix it.

Wait and see I guess.

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Or... just get a $15 usb flash drive and clone a fresh copy of SL to it.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Too bad it's not April 1st. This OP's thread would've been funnier. Ahhh, such bliss when you Apple haters make up stories. :rolleyes:

11. theARNSKI thread starter macrumors regular

Lulz.

Unless I've mistaken what you written, you've probably mistaken what I wrote. It wasn't a joke and no Apple hating going on over here.

Fortunately, all my apps were still intact, not initially on the dock, but still inside the HD. Just all of my documents and music were lost and I can't be bummed too much as there were only about 1-2 albums of music, photos were still in my MobileMe, and luckily, most of my class lecture notes were on PDF files that are posted on the teacher's websites.

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I'm only glad we're not all blinkered like you. Or is your name really Steve?