Fell with macbook pro in case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matttrick, Feb 3, 2011.

1. matttrick macrumors 6502

So the lot was frozen, i have boots on, but my legs still came out from under me. the laptop landed flat, in a padded "incase".

When I opened the lid it came on fine, but when it makes that noise as you open it, it sounds kind of strange. Performance is fine. Physically everything looks fine. Just that noise sounds more grindy than usual. Is that the hard drive spinning up and I should expect a failure?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's a platter-based hard drive you should always expect failure.

3. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

of course. it is the hard drive spinning up that makes the noise when you open it though right? so hating this winter.

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I believe when you startup, the sound you year is the optical disc drive initializing. Try putting a CD/DVD in and see if that works.

5. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

interesting. i have been opening and closing it and it sounded a little better. put a disc in and it read fine, ejected well. opened the lid a few more times and it sounds normal. hoping it was just something misaligned

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If you're not sure, back up all your files just in case.

Actually, you should ALWAYS be doing this. A friend of mine recently lost pretty much all her data because "something" happened to her hard drive (I'm still not clear exactly what). The machine wasn't even dropped, it was some kind of data corruption. Unfortunately among the things that were lost were some photos and videos that can never be recaptured.

Personally, I treat my MBP as if it could be taken away from me at any moment, so any important files that accumulate on its hard drive, I try to dump onto a network drive and back it up as soon as I can.

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what I was going to say.

8. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

The most precious thing about my MBP is the data (although I do love my shiny, shiny macbook). Back up, back up, back up. I once had a laptop that failed in my pre mac days. Obviously I had not backed up the data for about six months. The nice man at Sony got it going again. He stayed on the phone and wouldn't ring off until I had said that I had started backing up my data. When my laptop died two months later, I didn't lose a lot of data, about a weeks work.

I was very, very lucky.

So whatever you do, keep backing up just in case. Maybe take it to a genius bar for them to take a look at it.

Good luck, I feel for you

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If you don't have a USB hard drive, go buy one. You can get 1 terabyte of data for $50 these days. Cheap insurance in case your hard drive dies or disappears if your laptop gets dropped, damaged, lost, stolen, or whatever.

10. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

jeez how many threads are we going to have about macbooks taking a fall?