Fellow Mac users, I am now officially a "switcher"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Allusion, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Allusion macrumors newbie

So I did it, I finally did it.

After asking about the now $999 MacBook earlier, I went to the Apple store tonight, hoping that upon seeing the new Aluminum MacBooks, I would hate the design and trackpad, forcing me to use an older model (or the cheaper model at least).

Needless to say...

I FREAKING LOVED IT.

The black and silver designed looked GREAT, so much better in person. The pictures do it no justice.

The trackpad is amazing. The "click anywhere" part is awesome. However, I didn't know until playing with it that it still has a left and right click portion at the bottom...so if I want, I can use it just like any other notebook.

This thing is great. I haven't done anything so far besides get iChat working and head right on over to MacRumors, who's posts inspired me to re-try a Mac.

Tomorrow I have a joyous evening ahead of installing Office 08, and putting all my stuff into iTunes, hot dang!

Thus I conclude this happy fun rant with 2 simple questions.

1.) Any fun/useful/interesting software I should be downloading to put on this? I'm new to Macs.

2.) I'm contemplating installing the spare 64GB Solid State Drive I have sitting around...how much room does the OS X install take up? Curious if I should install this drive, or not bother due to room constraints.

2. GadgetCollector macrumors newbie

Wow, congrats! :D

Yeah, I don't think the new MacBooks look that hideous either. Apple won't do it if it doesn't look cool. ;)

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You are most likely the only person who enjoys installing Office:eek:

To make your media experience better I would suggest downloading VLC. That way you can want AVI movies;)

4. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

congrats!!! I'm freakin' jealous. I ordered my MB on Tuesday just minutes after the Keynote and it won't be here until next FREAKING week. Congrats on switching too. I made the switch to my blackbook over 2 yrs ago & never looked back.

As for software, maybe start checking out some sweet widgets? My current favorite is iCal Events~shows your next few day's schedule (from iCal) right on your dashboard, even without having iCal open.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Congrats!! I just got mine yesterday and my wife got my 3 month old MB and she loves mac now... bye bye Vista!!

6. Aranince macrumors 65816

I can't wait to join the ranks as a switcher here in the upcoming week. Congrats!

7. rkrskr macrumors newbie

Congrats! I have just sold off my PowerBook G4, and am now saving up for the MacBook Aluminum.

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yeah im getting ready to call myself a switcher as well...my macbook should be coming in the next few days...hopefully monday :D im so excited!

9. brettinlj macrumors member

You are not alone. I was thinking about a refurb 2.4ghz blackbook, and loved the new MB in person. It looks so much better in person compared to photos. Kind of like me. ;)

10. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I just switched. I bought myself the 2.4 ghz macbook (with a 4gb ram upgrade) and got my wife the $999 macbook. She is so thrilled, she doesn't notice that mine is better. I ordered a refurbed 24" iMac, and it should be here on Tuesday. No more Vista for me. I am done with that bull s.

I have a friend who helped me customize via the "take over my screen" function in iChat. Damn. Everything just works really well without much effing around. Should have made this switch years ago.

Happily,

Peter McPhee