Fellow O2 iPhone contract holders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phatzer, Jun 9, 2009.


What do you plan do in the UK?

  1. Pay off the remainder of my current contract and purchase a new iPhone 3G S

    4 vote(s)
  2. Wait until my current iPhone or other contract is up, then purchase the new iPhone

    9 vote(s)
  3. I don't plan to purchase the new iPhone 3G S

    30 vote(s)
  4. I am eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 3G S when it is released on June 19th

    5 vote(s)
  5. I am a new customer and planning to purchase the iPhone 3G S

    4 vote(s)
  1. Phatzer macrumors regular


    Nov 3, 2007

    Well, I have to say, I was really looking forward to upgrading to the 3GS, but after being told that current iPhone contract holders must pay off the remainder of their contract (8 months and more for those iPhone enthusiasts), and then having to pay a further £180+ for a decent model on an affordable contract, I've been totally priced out.

    Except for the people planning to pay out of their nose, and those who are eligible to upgrade already on other contracts, I can see a very slow adoption on the latest model until December/January time, but I could be wrong, of course.

    Tell me what you plan to do.
  2. rushmere macrumors 6502


    Jul 28, 2006
    None of those options!

    I'll buy a Pay & Go 3GS, and swap the SIM card with my 3G.

    I'll therefore get a new 3GS without starting a new contract nor having to pay off my existing contract :cool:
  3. drpellypo macrumors 6502a

    Nov 19, 2007
    Northumberland, UK
    I already did a poll on this ;)

    But, yours has more options.

    But, you missed one out, which is probably the option I am going for. Buy it on PAYG, and stick my sim in it. That way, I will be very much eligible for an upgrade when the 4g comes out.
  4. Merlinwiz macrumors member

    Jul 4, 2008
    Ok so say you bought your iphone 3g in July last year you have 7 months left on you contract so 7 x £35 (in most cases) = £245, + £185 for new 16gb 3gs = £430 + tied in for a further 18 months.

    Or buy new 16gb 3gs on payg for £450 (including top up) and put your contract sim in and no contract and your then ready for a nice cheap upgrade this time next year, where your 3gs should easily cover the cost of the next gen Iphone then.

    What do you think I'm going to do ;)

    And you can get between £180 - £200 trade in for the iphone3g at CPW or other websites that buy old phones + possibly even more on ebay, to a mate etc.
  5. Phatzer thread starter macrumors regular


    Nov 3, 2007
    Indeed, I wish the option to edit polls was provided. It's possible, but they obviously can't be bothered to do it for us :)
  6. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000


    Apr 7, 2007
    I will demand they unlock my phone after my contract is over. Otherwise I will never use 02 again. It may not work but I can not believe that other people aren't sort of ticked off about 02's policy regarding this.
  7. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

    Apr 20, 2009
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Its got to be the secret option - buy PAYG, sell existing. But buying from Apple Store, NOT O2. I'm not giving them a penny more than I have to.
  8. Phatzer thread starter macrumors regular


    Nov 3, 2007
    To be honest, I'm half tempted to wait until this time next year on my current contract. That way I can upgrade straight away without it costing me a penny.

    The thing I really wanted more than anything else was the push feature, and now we're getting it next Wednesday, I'm happy :) Meh, I may change my mind yet though!
  9. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

    Jun 7, 2007
    London, UK
  10. KerrG macrumors newbie

    Jun 9, 2009
    In April I needed to get a mobile and wanted certain features such as web, mail push and syncing with MobileMe. Decided to take the plunge and bought iPhone 16GB knowing full well that an upgrade was coming. Having seen the actual differences (better camera, video, compass voice control, and more power) these are not killer upgrades for me so I'm actually quite happy and no regrets about buying pre-upgrade! So I'm staying put until at least the 2010 model, if not the 2011!
  11. Phil A. Moderator

    Phil A.

    Staff Member

    Apr 2, 2006
    Shropshire, UK
    I'm probably going to skip this revision - my renewal date is in January, the same as a lot of people I guess, so I'll wait and see what next year's revision brings.

    Having said that, I don't really like being tied in to a long contract so I may even skip this revision and then get the next one PAYG and swap my SIM over.

    What I'd really like is a SIM free option in the UK, but I guess that ain't happening ;)
  12. Petoz macrumors 6502


    Apr 1, 2008
    I got the 3G on release day, so am not eligible for upgrade until December or January. When that happens I plan on switching to a simplicity contract with the unlimited data bolt-on and save some money each month. Then when the next iPhone is out (most likely June 2010) I will switch to that. Not sure about contract or pay&go with simplicity. but that is then, and there are better things to think about at the moment. Like which new MBP to buy to accompany/replace my iMac. **back to the MB/MBP threads**
  13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

    Oct 31, 2007
    London, UK
    I'm out of contract on my 2G.

    I still have no intention of purchasing at that price.

    Might think about it if it were halved at launch on the 18 month contracts - halved in six months wouldn't get me to buy it - I'd just wait until the launch for the launch of the next one at that point.

  14. Phatzer thread starter macrumors regular


    Nov 3, 2007
    It's interesting to see your opinions, and I'm actually quite suprised that people are planning to spend out £450 for a speed increase and better camera (simply).
  15. Loge macrumors 68030


    Jun 24, 2004
    For me it is not just the speed increase and camera, it's the only way to get a 32GB iPhone. And I would actually use the compass. Add me to the secret option to buy PAYG and swap sim.
  16. svndmvn Guest

    Nov 6, 2007
    how do you guys explain the rise in prices for the Pay&Go version? I thought the 3g had much lower prices..
  17. ripkord macrumors 6502

    Oct 19, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm cancelling down to the lowest contract tarrif (will only save £5 a month but better in my pocket than O2's) See out my contract and then depending on who gets the contract for the Pre - (IE if it ISNT O2) the will probably get that.

    To tell you the truth I was hoping for something a bit more from the iphone this year. Even if they were doing a £100 and take out a new 18 month contract I wouldnt be sold. Time for something new.
  18. alFR macrumors 68020

    Aug 10, 2006
    Still on my 2G, going to upgrade if the reviews of the 3GS are positive (battery life etc.): I could use the extra storage and the GPS, speed etc. will be nice extras. A 2-yearly upgrade cycle looks to be about right for me given the pace of change in the handsets and the fact that interim software upgrades keep coming out for free, so I might even go fo a 2-year contract and get a cheaper upgrade. That way I can skip the next generation and upgrade again in summer 2011. ;)
  19. Leemo macrumors 6502


    May 7, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    I'm doing this too. The best thing? Will be out of contract in January, ready for next upgrade next year (and hopefully a new network if o2 lose exclusivity by then) - plus will be able to sell 3G S and recoup some of the moolah from that.


Share This Page