Female Statue - Worshiping Statue - Need Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, Jul 1, 2008.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you could help me. I am looking for a statue, painting, or some artistic medium in that realm of a female, something that has been or was worshiped by all. Not so much a fertility statue, but more something like a god statue. Something that would say women are on a pedestal, this higher being of perfection.

This is for something I am writing, so please forgive me for making this sound weird.

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, if I was going to worship any statue, it would most likely be this one (front, back). Not sure if this was what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I am going to use Aphrodite as a last resort, as I am looking for something a little different. Aphrodite is known to have bed with many men, but I am looking for a statue to represent, the woman, the pure woman, the perfect woman.

What is the back story on this statue?

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

I'm not entirely sure... I was researching a topic a few months back and happened across the image of this statue. It was so beautiful that I bookmarked the page, and when you asked for a female statue, this popped back in mind. According to Wikipedia she is a water spirit... but as I said, this representation of her (more than any other I've seen) is rather entrancing. :eek:

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I agree. I just wish the backstory was simple to fine for anyone, so that if when seeing this statue in my project, they could go and research it and get a deeper meaning to my story; that is if she fit what I was looking for.

7. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, here is the backstory of the statue from the Yale University Art Gallery...
    "Undine was the heroine of a popular French nineteenth-century romantic novel in which a mermaid princess forsakes the carefree life of a water-spirit to gain a soul by marrying the mortal knight she loves. When her husband proves unfaithful, Undine is forced by the laws of the water-spirits to kill him. Ives depicts the moment when the mournful Undine, cloaked in a white veil, rises like a fountain from the castle's wellspring to claim her husband's life. The exquisitely carved wet drapery is one of the most notable American examples of see-through illusionism popular in mid-nineteenth-century sculpture."
    Most likely not what you were looking for as it seems to be more of a cautionary tale aimed at us. :eek:

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

No not much for this story, but is very interesting. May have to pick up the novel!

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Maybe Athena. There were several versions, including Pallas Athena and the massive bronze statue of Athena Promachos.

Or Galatea from the Pygmalion myth?

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, that sounds like Aphrodite.