Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Don’t buy I got it and on iPhone X the home bar stays all the time and the graphics really aren’t as good as asphalt 8 and steering is bad no touch left and right

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
What do you mean by "low-res SE"? All iPhones since iPhone 4 have had a Retina display. Unless you're talking about the "size" of the display? Screen size and resolution (pixel density) are two separate characteristics of a display.

You're being a little pedantic on my use of "resolution", but I think you'll find that both definitions of the term are widely used in the computer industry- number of pixels wide by number of pixels high is referred to as "resolution" just as commonly as is PPI. The fact that the iPhone SE has fewer pixels to push is presumably why this game is able to run well on its A9, where every other device needs at least an A9X.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I'm kind of happy to see games that require more or less an A9X (lo res iPhone SE aside) to run. Let's start pushing these monster CPU/GPUs Apple is putting in their devices.
Exactly. These chips stand there doing mostly nothing except for AR and other very specific uses. Most iOS games never push these chips hard. All of apples apps use only 2 cores maximum for example. Many use a single core.
[doublepost=1511826232][/doublepost]
I will get it as soon as it comes to tvOS.
Hope you have a 4k Apple TV because this game won’t run on the 4th gen A8 chip.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
What are your first impressions?
I'm an avid Real Racing 3 fan. It lets me choose racing view. I prefer 'in car' or 'hood' view. So I'm not a fan of GRID's 'chase' view. I don't see any way to change it.

Also the tilting when I turn makes me nauseated. Other than that, racing around Mt. Panorama with a bunch of identical MINI Cooper JCW's was a total blast.

CORRECTION: Duh. Just discovered I can select racing view including "hood" view. And the nausea must have affected my vision because there were more than just MINIs in the Hot Hatch race. But it was still a blast. I'm officially hooked on GRID for iOS, though RR3 remains my favorite iOS car racing game for now.

Last edited:

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
If you're going to question anything, question the "mix of simulation and arcade handling" and "console quality".

Heh, yea. I've never seen much point to racing games like this w/o a wheel/pedals.

And, if it truly gives 'console quality' then Microsoft and Sony are incredible tech-Luddites with their consoles that consume hundreds of watts to accomplish the same thing.

It’s quite nervous in the steering to start with. That’s my first thought, doing at rookie level.

But what I didn’t realise is that it really does all the braking for you. You can keep on the gas and just be smooth with the steering. As a racer in the real world, it was against my thinking, so I’ll have to reset and try it differently. I’d like to dumb down the steering somewhat, give a bit of understeer (push) and have the throttle a bit better modulated. If you could add a Bluetooth wheel and pedals and push it onto a big screen via Apple TV that would be cool

Oh my, so it does nearly auto-everything so you can just 'steer' by tipping it?

This is the big problem with gaming on iOS, IMO. I don't know why Apple didn't enable stock controllers like PS4/Xbox's to be able to work. That would have really increased the attractiveness of iOS gaming (and enabled the creation of much more complex games). Do the wheels/pedals still work via USB? A game like this screams for that kind of compatibility.

jdmar2004

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I finally got a chance to play the game and it’s pretty good although not much better, graphics wise, to RR3. I DO like the fact that it’s a pay once game and I’m always more likely to spend money on these types of games. The only issue I’ve had so far is that the game stutters when I get into a group of cars and we all begin to take corners at the same time. This has caused me to lose control for a short second and it’s annoying. I’m not a fan of touch controls so I use a controller and it works great with the game. The interface is much easier to use compared to RR3. I also love that the game uses the Taptic Engine. I’m playing the game on a 7 and I hope that they can address the stuttering with an update soon. I also wouldn’t say that the graphics are as good as an Xbox360, which is pretty old, so I’m not sure what level of console they’re comparing it to. Overall I’m happy with my purchase

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Which publisher are you talking about, Codemasters or Feral? I guess it really doesn't matter because both companies publish AAA titles all the time. Codemasters is the house for F1, Dirt, and Grid. Feral is one of the main reasons Mac gaming still exists.

If you're going to question anything, question the "mix of simulation and arcade handling" and "console quality".

None of those are AAA titles, that's what I'm saying. A AAA title gets that name from the amount of money/resources spent on it, and only a few publishers are capable of generating that amount of revenue these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.