Fetch data from third party mail app?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by techergy, Oct 30, 2014.

1. techergy macrumors newbie

I have been trying to find a way that I can fetch mail from a third party app (gmail) on my iPhone, such as on the native mail app.

I have looked on just about every forum I can think of, and cannot find anything. I'm guessing that it is not possible, but I wanted to ask in case I'm missing something.

Anyone know how to make this happen?

Thank you,

Techergy

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

What is it that you are trying to do exactly? What exactly do you mean by "fetch data from a third party mail app"?

3. techergy thread starter macrumors newbie

You know in Mail, Contacts, and Calendars it has the option to fetch new data at set intervals for, at least, the native mail app. I would like to do something like that for the Gmail app, have the app only look for mail once every hour; as I kinda feel like my battery is draining more then it does when using the native mail app.

Like I said, I kinda get the feeling I can't but I would like to find out.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

No, there's no fetch for apps, just push notifications. That said, apps use a different push notification service than a mail service does. And most apps basically use the same one provided by Apple, so even if all push notifications from a bunch of apps are disabled, but there's some app that uses them, then it doesn't make much of a difference if more of them are using it since your device is already connecting to Apple's push service anyway.

5. techergy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, ok thank you.