Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
I am trying to conserve battery and noticed my fetch setting was set to manual already which is fine. I just wanted to know what manually fetching means. Do I have to log into my email before it is updated? Thanks.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I am trying to conserve battery and noticed my fetch setting was set to manual already which is fine. I just wanted to know what manually fetching means. Do I have to log into my email before it is updated? Thanks.

It means that when you launch the mail application, it then logs in and checks for new e-mail.

It will never check any other time.

This is the best battery life you can get from Mail, assuming you're not checking constantly.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

fetching manually means the phone will not fetch mail at all until you launch the mail app.

ltn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Gotcha thanks guys. Also for Yahoo I guess it is a push type of mail but I turned that off. So that means that it will only update when I log in as well? Thanks again.

rednano74

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Dover, DE
Gotcha thanks guys. Also for Yahoo I guess it is a push type of mail but I turned that off. So that means that it will only update when I log in as well? Thanks again.

Correct, when you launch mail it will grab and update your emails.

Unnamed1

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
What is the difference between fetch and fetch manual then? I am still slightly unclear on this?

I assumed fetch meant you just launched the program and would do it yourself? It's not push so what's the difference?

Thanks

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
What is the difference between fetch and fetch manual then? I am still slightly unclear on this?

I assumed fetch meant you just launched the program and would do it yourself? It's not push so what's the difference?

Thanks

Push = mails are pushed to you

Fetch = It will fetch mail automatically for you at set intervals

Manual = It will check for mail when you open the app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.