Fetch or Push

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What's the differnce? I noticed one of my emails is set up on fetch and the other with push.

Is one better?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well, the name pretty much gives it away.

Push email is when your emails get pushed from the server they are sent to, so it's instant. But the server has to be set up for push (MobileMe)

Fetch is when the phone connects to the server to see if there is any new email at intervals of 15/30/60/manual minutes. etc.

3. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

the people at AT&T said that even GMAIL pushes on the iPhone and i find that to be true?

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

false

5. memesmith macrumors regular

What he said.

However it IS true that yahoomail pushes, though not with the reliability that Activesync and Exchange.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Ok thanks. So basically since I'm not going to get mobileme i don't need to worry about push huh?

So if you choose the 'manual' setting how/when does it fetch? I don't recall seeing a 'fetch email now' button..

7. mymacrumorse macrumors member

For battery life use fetch cos push takes a lots of juice out of it ...

8. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I have heard that too but seems counter intuitive. If it fetches every 15 min then you are guaranteed to use extra juice every 15 min during fetch. But with push it should only "activate" the radio goods when it receives a push signal. I suppose it's the "always waiting for a push signal" that must drain the thing. Unfortunate.