Fetch - What port to open?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zukum, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Zukum macrumors member

Anyone know what port needs to be opened on my home router to be able to use Fetch?

Also, any ideas why when I use Fetch to transfer an iMovie file it can't be open on the new computer?

Thanks for any insight!

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've used Fetch (4 and 5) on two different routers (netgear and then AEBS) with no problems and -- to answer your question -- without opening any specific port. This was also true of my years using WS_FTP on PCs -- no need for any specific port-opening for general FTP work.

If you can't get out (or in), I think something else is wrong.

Give details. For example, if you're successfully transferring an iMovie file from the web using Fetch, then your port setup must be working. Right? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to get anything.

If you're getting a file in but it's not behaving properly, check that you're using the right download mode: automatic, binary, or text.

3. Zukum thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

So, you don't need to open any ports on your router/modem (mine are one and the same box)? I'm wondering because what if I have more than one computer at home, then they will both have the same IP address, so how would someone outside my home network specify which of my 2 computers to FTP with?

Regarding the text/binary thing, when I open an iMovie project file that was sent via Fetch, it opens a text window instead of imovie. When I open the quicktime files contained in the Media folder of the iMovie project, they are unreadable by quicktime. I've tried setting my upload and download settings to text and binary and get the same result.

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Your router will hand out the IP addresses, assuming that your computers are set to obtain IP addresses automatically. The router itself, as it faces outwards to the web, has only a single address.

I'm assuming that you, on some computer sitting behind the router, are going "out" to get something. In that case you shouldn't need to do anything at all about ports.

But if you're expecting somebody on another computer to contact your modem/router and then pass through into one of your computers and leave something there, then that's a different matter. The most common, and easiest, situation is when it's you who are going out to get something -- meaning that you initiated the contact. In that situation, Fetch should do everything you need.

As for the iMovie thing I can't help except to guess that an iMovie project has different sorts of files in it -- maybe some text, some binary. If that's the case, have person with the iMovie project zip it up (stuffit or equivalent). The zipped up file will be all binary. Then at your end YOU (using Fetch) go and, well, fetch it. Use the "get" command. Once it's on your Mac, unzip/unstuff and -- most likely -- you'll have what you want.

Bottom line is that it's way, way easier to go out and get something and pull it back than it is to have somebody else push it to you.

Hope this helps.