Few clarifications on optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rick98761, Oct 11, 2011.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

A few months back I replaced the hdd in my 2011 MacBook pro with a 128 gb ssd. I've always meant to swap the optical bay with the original hdd but haven't got around to it. Now that I could use the space I've been doing some reading. I just have a few quick question to clear up, due to some conflicting information I have found.

First: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-HDD-SDD...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item415b737383 this is the correct product for my particular computer correct, I have seen this seller recommended many times on here.

My other question is, and I've heard different answers. Should the ssd go where the optical bay was, or in the hdd bay? I have heard that since I have my os on the ssd, putting it in the optibay may cause some sleep/wake issues? Will there be any issue with heat having a regular hdd in the optical slot, since it was obviously not designed for this?

Those are my only remains questions. If you have any other advice I would love to hear it.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That one works definitely.
    Sleep/Wake there have been some updates of firmware and stuff I doubt it is still true. I have 2010 and no issues.
    Either way just try it in the SSD in optibay configuration first and if that doesn't work you can still switch. If it works it is the better solution as the HDD is mounted with rubber to reduce vibration in the HDD bay and their is the SMS too.
    Only reason to put the SSD into the HDDbay is if yours is a very early 2011 MBP and still has the single SATA 3 port and the SSD is SATA 3 too.

3. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thank you. Are you saying there was a revision to the early 2011 model?

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yep. At first the optical drive was only connected via SATA2 and only the HD bay had SATA3.
    Since April, May something they are shipping MBPs with SATA 3 on both ports.

It was never announced though. I am guessing they figured out some people (those with voices in forums such as this) are unhappy with this limitation and changed it silently. If used as intended it wouldn't have made a difference. It is clearly better now though.