Few FINDER Questions: Set Size? Password Folders? Lock Folder Locations? Etc?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Dec 21, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I can honestly now vouch that my Macbook is 100% to my specifications, only thing is...

The Finder.

When I open up the Macintosh HD the Finder window is always a bit bigger than i'd like it to be. I'd love for it to be the width to only allow 3 folders per row. Because it's not like this it has become a problem when adding a folder and adds a fourth column, when i'd rather a 4th folder just go into the 1st column, within a new 2nd row.

Also, whenever I create a "new folder", a folder just appears anywhere but what would make me rest so much easier is if new folders I create or drag into a section automatically "clean up" as opposed to having me right click into "clean up."

Finally, since my Macbook is only for my personal use, when at times a friend of girlfriend may want to access my macbook, say for internet, i'd still like to keep a few folders of mine for my eyes only. Anyway I can make a folder password encrypted so only I will have access to it?

I would switch to a different view within finder but i've been using the folders view for years now, I don't think i'll switch. I've just become that accustomed to it.

2. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I don't really know how to do any of that.

However, since my brothers apartment is the hang out spot, he added an account to his Mac so when you go to use it you have two options:

Andrew
    Not Andrew

His account requires a password whereas the other does not. And when people go on it and ask which account they should use he simply says, "Which are you?"

This might help your passworded folders idea because no one will be able to access your private stuff.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

OSx doesn't have a way to password protect specific folders. It is a commonly asked question here on the forum. For the situation you describe the easiest solution is a separate account, but beware that you might forget to logout.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You got the second half right but the first half is wrong. You can easily password protect any folder in OS X. Just right click or control click on the folder and choose "Get Info". From there click the "Locked" radio button.
    Now you do have to create a second user account because the main one is the "Admin" and the locked folders won't require a password to open them. In the second user account the locked folders will require the admin password to access them.