Few General Questions,

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by schnacke, Nov 1, 2010.

1. schnacke macrumors newbie

I am an avid Mac user but have never jailbroken any of my devices. I however just received an IPad as a gift and can't bring myself to pay for the iphone tethering from ATT because I don't want to drop to the capped usage plans. Here are my questions,

1. I have to jailbrake just my phone correct? Use the lime drop jailbrake and then download Mywi?

2. If I install mywi and then there is an update to the os, I don't have to pay for it again correct?

3. I will still be able to download items from the official app store correct without any issue?

4. Is the mywi the best of the apps available? I wouldn't mind having my mbp hooked up to the signal on rare occasions also.

5. Is the battery drainage really as bad as people say?

6. How do you pay for mywi? In the new app store? Just like the official store? Do you paypal the vendor or give them cc info?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

1. I have to jailbrake just my phone correct? Use the lime drop jailbrake and then download Mywi?

If you want a Mobile Hotspot, you want to use MyWi, and yes you only need to JB your iPhone, installed and connect using your ipad to the newly created Wifi Hotspot (like any other Wifi hotpost)

If you want to connect only one device at the time, there are Alternatives, like PADnet, it create an AD-hoc connection (only 1 device at the time) Or TetherME + iTether (ipad) but for this you'll need both device JB

2. If I install mywi and then there is an update to the os, I don't have to pay for it again correct?

Correct, Cydia will know you already paid, and let you re download it.

3. I will still be able to download items from the official app store correct without any issue?

Like you did before JB

4. Is the mywi the best of the apps available? I wouldn't mind having my mbp hooked up to the signal on rare occasions also.

MyWi is the best (only) Hotspot application, meaning it create a real Wifi hotspot that multiple client can share (up to 8 I believe), all other are not hotspot but just Machine to Maniche connection (some use Wifi, USB or Bluetooth).

5. Is the battery drainage really as bad as people say?

Yes, it is bad, the phone need to have Wifi and 3G radio turn on at the same time, while the main processor is fully loaded doing routings and other things.

6. How do you pay for mywi? In the new app store? Just like the official store? Do you paypal the vendor or give them cc info?

You login on the Cydia Store using your Facebook or google ID, them you can pay using Paypal or Amazon pay system.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

1-5: Yes
    6: cydia uses a log-in system so you buy an app once and use the same app in all your iOS devices...

5. schnacke thread starter macrumors newbie

follow up question

Ok, follow up question.

I have finished the jail break via the limera1n program. I have a complete backup from before I jail broke the phone. If I sync my phone with my mbp to update contacts or calendar I will have a new back up. How will I be able to go back to a previous restore when I want to unjailbreak?

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

You need to manually find the back up file in the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ directory and copy it somewhere safe.

That will be the prestine non-JB back up.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

just reinstall an official firmware from apple directly from itunes :)