Few issues... DVD drive, RAM and HD expansion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joedavis34, Sep 23, 2008.

1. joedavis34 macrumors regular

1) My DVD drive stopped working. I can put in a CD, it will make a few noises, and then spit it out... happens no matter what. If I'm still under AppleCare, can this get taken care of if I visit the AppleStore, and if they had to replace it, how long would it take (i.e. will it need to be sent to Apple?)

2) I'm looking to upgrade my RAM. I got the first edition of Macbook (bought it in the summer of 2006.)... I currently have 1 gig of RAM. How much would it cost to get the RAM, can I install it myself, and what are your recommendations?

3) I want to upgrade my hard drive... What are your recommendations (I have an 80 gig).

Thanks everyone.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) It will take between 1 hour and 1 week to repair.
    2) I believe 2GB is the limit. If you already have one stick, then all you need is another, if not, you will need two 1GB sticks. Corsair or Kingston would be my recommendation, but check Crucial.com for what they have, and use their scanning software to make sure you get what you need.
    3) I believe that for the most part, 200GB is the maximum available (there may be larger drives, but they are too expensive). I would actually recommend an external drive, they are cheaper and don't require a lot of work, plus if one drive goes down, you don't loose everything.

TEG

3. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

2) Scan software said the kit is 40 dollars for 2-1GB sticks... Can I install these myself?
    3) I have a 80 gb external...kinda don't like it--pissed that i didn't get the 320 GB one--but the student union macstore said I should get a portable one. And it was like 120 dollars. But anyways, I have a lot of my iTunes shows on my external drive because they take up so much space on my computer.

Are these installed by myself or an Apple genius? And how much do these drives cost?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes you can do the Memory yourself. And if you have some some computer skills you and do the hard drive your self as well, but if you are under warranty, get Apple to do it.

OCW, NewEgg, or TigerDirect will have a nice array of hard drives you can use, I believe you will want a 2.5 inch SATA drive.

TEG

5. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular