Few issues with my laptops.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thunders7, Jan 9, 2008.

1. thunders7 macrumors newbie

I have a few issues with two laptops i own. A macbook black and a Powerbook G4(i think, the one with the silver metal case ;)". Anyways my Powerbook G4 will not properly boot. I would turn the power button on, then i can hear the fan running - screen remains black - no signs of computer actually booting up. Then; my macbook black seems to lag / freeze for short intervals. The freezing for short intervals started after hearing strange noises with my fan, as if it were stuck or some sort or the other - repeated "clicks". I ruled out the possibilities of it lagging due to overheating (it clearly was not hot). Please list what could be the issues with my laptops. Thanks! :)

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

The PB might be a goner. If you don't get to the Apple screen, it's usually a bad sign. More often than not, it's the motherboard, and that is a pain to replace.

The MB sounds like it's in trouble too. When you hear clicking, it's usually the hard drive, likely on its way out. Back up your data as soon as you can.

Things that you can do-

Try zapping the PRAM on the PB (on boot, hold apple-option-p-r until you hear 2 startup chimes). This might reset the machine, but if you're not even hearing a startup chime, it may be dead.

The MB is a bit more complicated. A new HD costs ~$80 for a 160GB. You could invest in a new one and a $20 enclosure for the old one until it dies. On the other hand, it could be something different, and then you've wasted $100.

3. thunders7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i'll try them out. Will the replacing of the hard drive fix the lagging? In addition, i'm almost positive the clicking was coming from the fan section (below the S,D key areas from what i can hear). Thanks. But i will most certainly try out your suggestions.

4. frewme macrumors newbie

I concur that fan whirring and clicking can be the signs of a problem with the hard drive. I ignored them to my peril -- my hard drive crashed (fortunately under warranty) and I lost all data since I last backed up around six months prior.

So if you are getting funny clicking sounds, back up ASAP!