Few newbie ?'s

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scooterguitar, Mar 17, 2008.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

Starting to get a feel for my macbook.
    Maybe you can help me a little more if you would please.
    I fully charged my battery first time, drained down to around 30% and then recharged.
    Today I notice with it running from the adapter it only says 98% charge? Normal or did I mess the battery life up already?

Next...
    I have it setup for two finger scrolling, what is the right click function or is there one? The preview or tutorial I viewed lats week mentioned it, but didn't cover it.
    I forgot abotu until I was scrolling a forum today and somehow activated a right ckick feature or so I think. A small menu popped up, but I have no clue how I did that!
    Thanks

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can choose to tap the trackpad with two fingers to do a secondary click.

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

right click by putting two fingers down on the touch pad and pressing the clicking button. just like the two finger scroll, but push the button while the two fingers are down; i'm guessing that's what you did.

4. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

You can also hold down the control key while clicking to do a secondary click. It's slower than putting two fingers on the trackpad, but it works all the time rather than only when you do it just right.

5. Italchef macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, what do you mean by this? When I do the two fingers for the right click, there's no need to click the bar. Can you explain?

Mick

6. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

What about the battery thing, any clue?

7. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

8. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Yes, this is true. But, if you put your two fingers down slowly, it does not function as a secondary click and you can then push the button. Also, if you have one finger already on the pad, you can place the second finger down and click the button without having to remove the first finger and tap the pad with two fingers.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Please be sure to calibrate your battery periodically in order to get accurate info.
    The macbooks/macbook pros have a nice feature that will prevent useless charges. The way this works is that if you unplug your laptop and don't use it for very long (say you use it until 97% is left), it will not recharge back to 100%. Only when your charge is below 95% will it recharge back to 100%.

Place two fingers on the trackpad and click, or, if you have trackpad taps activated, tap with two fingers. Certain areas (like your Dock) have a neat feature where holding the click will bring up the contextual menu as well.
    You likely hit the trackpad button accidentally, or the trackpad might have construed your fingers as "tapping" even if you weren't. To adjust the various settings, go to:

:apple:>>System Preferences>>Keyboard & Mouse

10. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

If you have the Mac plugged in to the mains,then you unplug and the battery power goes down to say 97%, and then reconnect the AC it will likely stay there until you drop to about 95% without AC then recharge it. I am not sure why it does this, but it often peaks at about 97-98% but when you drain the battery to a much lower percentage then it does recharge fully to 100% (I think). Hope that makes sense.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

As I indicated in my post, it's 95%.
    As I explained, it's a feature intended to prevent pointless cycles from loading onto your battery.

12. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Thanks for that - I noticed your comments after my post had gone :) Oops

And I have changed the percentage in my previous post from 90-95% for reference.

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

don't worry about the battery thing...ive dealt with many apple laptops (and PC ones for that matter) and the battery usually doesn't have a perfect health or even perfect charge capacity. enjoy the new machine!