Few Newby questions about iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by prozz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. prozz macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently got my new iPhone 4 and loving it. I have successfully jailbroken it and very happy.

Questions:
    1) Tonight/Tomorrow apple will release firmware 4.1. iPhone 4 users cannot jailbreak but can backup there shsh blog. Do you have to be on firmware 4.1 to backup your shsh? Im on firmware 4.0.1 at the moment.

2) When you go to Settings > Notifications> there are several applications, Are these local notifications? or do they use up your bandwidth?

I have beejive and i would like to tell me when someone has messaged me on my phone when im not in the application. How much bandwidth would this use?

I have Things and it says it has support for local notifications, Does this use up your bandwidth?

Thanks,

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

1) No you dont have to be on 4.1 You can go into Cydia and click the "Make my life easier" button and it should store your blob on the cydia server.. (might take a few days)

2) those are push notifications.. their not quite local as they get pushed from the SERVER.. bandwidth usage is minimal

I dont use beejive but there should be a option to get notifications within the App.. Then just make sure that under Settings-Notifications you have Alerts/Badge/Sound turned on for Beejive.

Also for those to work your PUSH needs to be turned on under Settings-Mail- Fetch New Data..

Hope that helps.

3. prozz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I understand a little better now

Is Local notifications the same as Push notification? Could someone elaborate on this, i still don't understand

Thanks

4. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

I dont think there is local notifications.. I dont quite sure what you mean by that. Unless a local notification is like a calendar alert, battery low, alarm.. phone call missed..

Notifications come from PUSH.. which gets it from the server.

5. prozz thread starter macrumors newbie

Go to
    http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/things/id284971781?mt=8

It says it supports local notifications? does that push from a server?

6. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Okay yes so i was correct. Local notifications are just calendar, missed phone call, SMS message, etc..

PUSH notifications is like facebook if someone writes on your wall, or foursquare, or any other APP that needs the internet..

Local notifications will NOT connect to a server

While other PUSH notifications WILL.