Few problems with Late 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mavrack, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Mavrack, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

Hi guys,
    This is my second late 2011 13in MBP from Bestbuy (First had defective battery) and I discovered two things. First off I discovered dust underneath the glass, I tried wiping them off with a dam cloth and microfiber cloth but no success. I tried everything but they will not come off. I can also tell they are behind the screen because they look like they are further back then regular dust specks of my screen. I estimate there are 20 dust specs, in which only 6 or 7 are really noticeable. More keep appearing day by day however. Second thing is that the top lid appears to be warped. It closes all the way on one side but not the other, I later discovered that the magnetic black strip around the bezel is sunken flush into the lid on that side while the rest of the strip sticks out everywhere else. It came like that by the way (Unboxed it and noticed it), it is also 2 months old. I did take it to Bestbuy to get a opinion and they said there wasn't enough dust and that if the gap between the screen gets worse they will fix it. So what do you guys think? Is there anyway to get the dust out without taking apart the screen? What should I do? I do however have BestBuy care. Thanks.

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Take it to an Apple store and hear what they have to say. If I were you I asked for another change. There must be something wrong with the screen assembly.

3. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

I agree with the above poster, that is not normal for a 2011 MBP. It may take some convincing to exchange or repair at the Apple store if it is two months old though :(

4. Mavrack, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Mavrack thread starter macrumors member

Mavrack

Thats what I thought. I don't have Apple Care, instead I have BestBuy care. Although I shouldn't I have the manufacturers warranty for a year?

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I believe you should have the normal 1 year Apple warranty that comes with a new product. Take it to the Apple store as previously mentioned.

6. Mavrack thread starter macrumors member

Mavrack

Took it to Apple and they said they would replace the entire upper clamshell :D. They said that there should not be dust under the screen at all due to it being factory sealed. They also said it was a 7-10 day repair, which I am then going to get it fixed when I go on vacation so I don't miss it. Overall I am extremely pleased with Apple :). I am disappointed with BestBuy, they said that it wasent bad enough and that if it got significantly worse to take it back and it would be a 40 day repair, even though I bought their 3 year warranty... A problem that Apple said wasent acceptable and that it was a 7 day repair. Once again I am extremely please with Apple's unrivaled customer service :). Thank you everyone for your help!

7. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Glad you got that resolved, and thats why I feel like applecare is always an awesome deal (hassle free) but I just wish they had accident protection like they added on the ipad

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

AppleCare is the only warranty I buy. Nothing else comes close when it comes time to use it. No matter what the others claim or how much money they cost, only AppleCare is worth buying.