Few problems with my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikey-, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Mikey- macrumors regular

I've got a couple of small 'faults' with my iMac I hope you guys may be able to tell me how to fix them.

If I have iTunes open whilst charging my iPod and I don't want to play any music it will randomly just start playing songs without me telling it to. And when I want to listen to songs on iTunes it will randomly pause them.

When I put my iMac to sleep either by clicking the Apple then selecting sleep or going to the login window and clicking sleep after a few seconds it switches back on without any movement of the mouse or keyboard.

Thanks,

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, based on those two symptoms, I'd say there's something wrong with your keyboard.

Specifically, the space bar is apparently registering presses periodically; the space bar will both start music playing and pause music in iTunes, which would explain that behavior, and hitting any key when the computer is asleep will wake it, so random spacebar presses would also explain that.

Question: When you're typing, have you ever noticed random spaces appearing where you didn't type them? That would be a sure-fire confirmation.

Since it's an iMac, try unplugging the keyboard and then putting it to sleep by pressing the power button. If it doesn't wake up, there you have it. You could also do the same test with iTunes--unplug the keyboard and start music playing, and see if it continues. [Edit: I wasn't thinking that of course the keyboard is probably wireless, in which case take the batteries out to "unplug" it.]

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

The wireless keyboards/mice always seem to cause these issues when paired; I usually end up plugging in a wired one because this happens to me as well.

I hate how if you turn off the keyboard or mouse after putting the computer to sleep, it automatically wakes the unit. :mad: