Few Q's from a new Mac Convert :D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ik11, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ik11 macrumors newbie

Hi.. I recently purchased my MBP and have a few Questions

I am looking to purchase a portable external Hard disk .. I plan to go for the Western Digital Passport 250 GB http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=317 Now my question is .. Will I be able to use this HD with my MBP and also my other Windows PC and Laptop (just in case i want to connect this HD to my Windows based PC running Vista or XP [SUCKS!]) can i simply plug it out from my MBP and plug it in my PC? or will there be any compatibility issues? etc..

Is this choice good (WD passport) or u recommend another product?

Also am planning to buy the Original Apple wireless keyboard and mouse... is the wireless option good? or should I go in for the wired mighty mouse etc? Is there a third party wireless KB and Mouse that is a good alternative?

Also can somene help me with a link to a site/webpage that help new mac owners with keyboard shortcuts etc etc? I am finding it very frustrating .. I dont know how to switch between browser windows coz dont see anything similar to the windows taskbar which shows the different windows.. plus the alt+tab option? If i want to switch between several firefox or Safari windows on my MBP? So any link which gives clear and good info for a new Mac user.. whos switching from a PC:mad: to a MAC:cool: Also any links to must have apps for the MBP..

Lastly. I have an external Sata Hard drive which am currently using with my Windows based PC and Laptop.. If i connect this to my Macbook Pro using USB will it work or will there be any compatibility issues? Coz I remember when I 1st got Vista and connected this HD to my vista based PC it gave an error and said the HD needed to be formatted :mad: and crap and I had to unnecessarily undergo a lot of problems and used a 3rd party software to retrieve/back up the data .. etc .. So am worried if I may face a similar situation again?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Your external HD is a good choice, I have the same one (with 320GB). You may want to partition it. One part in HFS+, so you can use Time Machine; and one part in FAT32, so you can use it with your PC as well.

Concerning your other one, you will only have to reformat it, if it is not FAT32 (Macs can only read NTFS, not write on them.).

I don't know about the wireless keyboard and mouse. I only have the wired mighty mouse and like it a lot. But it's a real love or hate thing. I chose the wired one because it is lighter, but sometimes I regret my choice, because the MBP only has two USB-ports and so I sometimes have to unplug the mouse and use the trackpad, when I have my external HD and the EyeTV-stick connected.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

1. You shouldn't have any compatibility issues
    2. Ya the passport is a good choice, the bigger the better.
    3. I would recommend the apple wireless keyboard and an MX Revolution (I don't happen to like the Mighty Mouse, I think it's poor quality and tends to break a lot)
    4. already answered
    5. You may have to format it but other than that you'll be good.

Also, congrats on the switch and welcome to Macrumors!

5. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

The combination of Apple/Command + ~ (tilde) will switch between windows in the current app, including Safari.

To see other tabs within the same Safari window, use the Command + Shift + [ or ] keys.

WD Passport drive si a good option. I have the 250GB version, too. Works like a charm and draws all its power from one USB cable.

6. Pollux macrumors newbie

7. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

try steermouse for the mx revolution, you can customize all of the buttons to different apps and stuff, It's great!

8. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Again, to clarify, your external drive will need to have two different partitions (NTFS and HFS+) to be used on both machines. Your Windoze machine will not read your Mac (HFS+) partition, and vice-versa.

If you thought you could, for instance, save documents on the same drive and have them accessible to both machines you're going to run into problems. You're better off using a flash based solution, like a USB drive, for that.

The only complaints I've heard about the wireless Apple keyboard/mouse arrangement is that the keyboard sucks down batteries. This was not with the current model, so that may no longer be an issue.

As mentioned previously, use your "Help" menu for a list of keyboard shortcuts. You'll love them! I am constantly finding myself doing a "Command-Q" at work (Windows machine.)

Your SATA drive will have to be partitioned for use with a Mac. No big deal, just go to "Go > Utilities > Disk Utility" and you can nuke it from there.

Welcome! You'll never regret moving to a Mac.

MacDann

9. panda macrumors regular

keyboard

i use the new wireless apple keyboard (and mouse) with my powerbook and love it.

sometimes i miss not having the numbers keypad, but the practicality of the wireless keyboard overrides this.

i can also say that i have had the keyboard for about 3 months now (since it was launched) and have not replaced the batteries once. it only turns on (by itself) when it is being used.

it is also great to type on.

plus, it is a nice way to help get the hottish powerbook off the lap if i am using it in a couch. its possible to put the computer on a side table and type on the separate keyboard. the biggest benefit is being able to get some more distance between my eyes and the screen on my desk. the powerbook can sit far back and i can just type on the extra keyboard.

i hadn't really thought about the extra usb port being freed up, but that is an advantage too.

so thumbs u on macs new wireless keyboard.
    :)

10. Pollux macrumors newbie

sweet - cheers, I'll check it out

EDIT- Back in the good ol' days when I was using Win 3.11 I had this awesome little mouse app that calculated the physical distance your cursor travelled based on your screen resolution.

Now that was pretty interesteding, if slightly pointless!

11. macffooky macrumors regular

MacDrive is well worth a look in your position.

12. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Don't forget...

These are two really helpful sites for anyone migrating or just starting new.

First: Switch 101

Second: Mac 101

I've read them already and my MB isn't even here yet, but I learned a hell of a lot of info. Just get on and read the entire first one. For the second one, just read the tutorials that pertain to stuff you do, as there are like 25.

13. ik11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Cyroceon Much appreciated! :)

14. ik11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to every1 who responded with their suggestions much appreciated guys! Cheers!