few question before buying the iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xhuiz, Jul 18, 2010.

1. xhuiz macrumors newbie

hello, since it's cheap to get the iphone 3gs now, i think im going to upgrade my current old none smart phone from at&t.

The problem is the data plan, I plan to cancel the data plan after first month of use, because im an cheapo and have wifi at work/home.

does jailbreak/unlocking/fake apn can make att think im not using a iphone? so they wont add the data plan back. also does this guide from this link work? http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=657 since imei is the only way att know im using a iphone? or is there other ways I dont know about?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, nothing you can do will trick AT&T to think you're using something else.
    The minute you put your sim in the 3GS and connect to their network they instantly know what device you're using.
    They might not catch on to it for a month or 2 or even longer but they do scans and automaticly add an iphone data plan to people using iphones in their account with no appropriate data.
    Also that guide you posted is from February 2008 and only worked on the 1.0 days with the original iphone.
    Nothing you can do to change a cellphones IMEI and its also highly illegal to even attempt.

3. xhuiz thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome bro.
    The $15 option is not as bad as the old $30 mandatory unlimited data though.

5. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

If there is some way to allow AT&T to cut the data portion of your plan, the 3GS (I'm currently on iOS4) has a setting to turn 3G as well as Cellular Data off. Switch both to off. Wouldn't that work? The only way that AT&T could tack it back on is if they can tell that you are actually using their 3G network.

I am personally not aware of a way for AT&T to only offer a calling plan for the iPhone. I'd check with an AT&T store & check. That is if there is one in your area.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, when you sign your AT&T contract you agree to their terms of service, which specify that you cannot use an iPhone without an iPhone data plan. If they detect that you are using an iPhone on your account (which they can do instantly from your phone's IMEI), they have every right to require you to carry a data plan.

OP: It is a violation of your contract to use an iPhone on your AT&T account without carrying an iPhone data plan. Period. If you can't afford it, don't get an iPhone.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you have no use for the Data get a ipod touch and a dumb phone. then you can be on what ever network you want.. takes only a minute or two for your phone to report to AT&T and tell them what device your using. just about any smart phone has a data plan. part of what makes it smart lol!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats false and obviously wont work.

9. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Well, if you cancel the data plan with AT&T after the first month, you will have to pay the ETF - unless you were planning on buying your iPhone from a 3rd party (ebay, craigslist, etc.) Even then, get the $99 iphone from AT&T and use the money you saved on the subsidy towards 2 years of $15/mo data.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, data plan has nothing to do with the ETF.
    You can cancell the data at any time if you sold, lost, broke or started using another phone instead of the iphone.
    The ETF is only if you cancell your account.

11. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Question - when did they start doing that? I used an iPhone in the states for two years w/o a data plan by spoofing the APN.

You are obviously right that they will add a data plan now - but when did that start?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I started noticing it about 2-3 months ago. More and more people got a text message from AT&T that the iphone data plan has been added to their account. Including my wife that was using an iphone 3G with no data for 3-4 months prior. :)
    Before that they didnt seem to care much but they started now I guess.

13. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Everything that is happened with the iPhone and AT&T is pretty amazing to me. Requiring customers to have a dataplan (the argument on whether or not the iphone is useful w/o a data plan is elsewhere - not my point.), not unlocking customer phones after they are finished with them. Im not questioning legality here, I just think that it's been an interesting trend w/ Apple and AT&T

seems so restrictive!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, reminds me of China:D

15. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Hah - the Chinese phone system is so easy that it makes the American system look like a bunch of 7 year olds came up with it.

On average I pay $12 usd/ month for unlimited texting, calls, and internet. Furthermore, once ive used all my money up, I walk down the street and add more money - none of this two year contract crap.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, European plans and cellphone companies are the same.
    Its a pain in the a$$ here.

17. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

All right, calm down. I hope you noted that I said that I didn't think that AT&T would allow him to use a voice only plan on the iPhone.

Ok, I get it. As if the latinist's post wasn't enough to try to make me look stupid, you didn't have to help. And actually, I didn't look all that stupid. Somehow you guys focused on one aspect without reading the rest of the post.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We are actually the ones that tryed to help you and give you the truth.
    Hope you appreciate it even though it didn't sound like u did. It might not have been the answers you were looking for but we donate our time to guide people like you with any questions they might have. Not to make them feel stupid. Have a nice day:)

19. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I was only trying to answer the question of the OP. If he asked a question that technically was not possible, then my information was a moot point. I was just reiterating the fact that if AT&T could cancel the data portion, that would be news to me. I stated that I didn't think that AT&T would let the iPhone be voice only. It seemed (IMO) as if that statement was overlooked. I didn't take anything personal. It's only the internet. I also help on other forums to dispense as much truthful info as I can, so I know where you're coming from.