Few questions about buying MBP from apple.com

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Jul 5, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I might buy it later today from apple.com, but if there's a problem with it, do I send it back to Apple, or do I have to make the 1 hour long drive to Charlotte to my closest Apple store? I would like to buy it from the Apple Store, but I can't customize the RAM and HD (I want base 13" MBP with 4GB Ram and either 250 or 320 GB HD). Also, is it worth the hastle to get the free iPod Touch? Is the online rebate relatively easy to go through? I was thinking about selling it on Ebay or Craigslist as soon as I get it, but wanted to make sure the rebate is not troublesome or anything.

Also, do The Western Digital Elite Passports work with MBPs? I would like to use it to transfer all my files from my PC.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As many users have posted here, including a lengthy thread in the past couple of days. If you order a BTO computer, you must deal with Apple online/phone as the stores do not carry those computers. I would recommend getting the ram elsewhere though...

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I can answer pretty much every question but the last.

You can send your machine to Apple via mail if you have a problem, but do note they will not replace a BTO machine. As for the rebate, it's not much of a hassle. The check comes in a few days and the online rebate is very simple.

And by the way, do not upgrade your RAM through Apple. It's a huge rip-off and costs half that if you do it on your own.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Hard Drive is compatible although there are a few of its software features according to WD's website that may not work including Encryption and Remote Access, but those aren't things that you are going to need.

5. flyscorpio macrumors newbie

1. you can call apple and they will arrange a shipment to them. or u can send it to a apple store.

2. of course u should get the ipod touch if u r a student. the rebate is submitted online and is very easy. u could get ur money back in one week.

6. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I know I'm getting ripped off on the RAM and HD. I know Corsair 4G goes for $40 and a 500 GB HD goes for $95, but my parents will sort of be uncomfortable disassembling the laptop like that, so I'm just taking the hit and going with the 4G RAM and I was thinking of 320 GB but I'll make up Apple's RAM ripoff by just getting the 250, I already have a 250 GB External USB HD so I'll have plenty of space.

One more question: I know that I can get Snow Leopard for a discount after I buy the MBP. Where do I do it, and how do they know I just bought it? It's $10 right? Do they send you a disc?

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Fill out the forums there and they'll send you a disc.