Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
I have a few questions about the different backup options for cydia tweaks. I have been using xBackup for a little bit, but after some experimentation today I noticed that xBackup only restores in the sense it recovers any packages you may have deleted. So, assuming I am using it correctly, if you install new packages after creating a backup and then later estore to that backup, you still have all your packages you installed after your original backup. Is this correct? If so, I need to find another backup option. In particular, I want one where I can create an initial "clean" backup of all my "good" packages (such as my must-haves like Sprintomize, SBsettings, etc.). Then, if I begin to have problems with any unstable or otherwise nasty packages, I can "restore" to my intitial backup. Assuming this is even possible, are there any apps that can do this? I hear PkgBackup is more versatile than backup and works in a similar fashion to TimeMachine. Can PkgBackup do what I just described? If so, I don't mind paying the $10 it costs.

Also, does anyone know why the latest version of xBackup won't let you manage multiple backups anymore? Now, under "backups" in the app, its a back screen which only gives you the option of "Backup", so I assume it only saves the latest backup. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

Alec

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I have a few questions about the different backup options for cydia tweaks.

Any progress on figuring this out?

I am also curious about this also.

And, if there is a away to get a list of what is installed? I know it is there under packages, but on the iPhone, it goes for several pages. So, rather than handwriting each of them down, it would be nice to have a list exported, or something that I could refer to after a restore and I want to look over what I want to reinstall.

Also, if I backup my iPhone, using XBackup, do I need to do a different Cydia backup for my iPad, etc? IOW, is it device specific, or does it make a backup to one particular account online?

Thanks!

Last edited:

alec6542

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Any progress on figuring this out?

I am also curious about this also.

Thanks!

Hi,

After having my question ignored several times, on this forum and others, I decided to just try to figure it all out by brute force via trial and error with my two iPhones, and came to several conclusions.

As for the idea of having a nice "Original Install" with only minimal amount of packages like I described in the first part of my post, the answer is no. Even if your original cydia package backup does not contain the packages you install after you created the backup, even if you restore to that backup, those new packages will still be installed on your device. In other words, the only true way to return back to an original backup state is to use iTunes to restore the cydia settings, and then reinstall the packages one by one.

To your question specifically about multiple devices with one backup, yes you can do it, provided they have the same firmware. As for being able to see exactly what packages are being backed up/restored, do NOT use XBackup. The program you want is called PkgBackup. It's amazing. It lets you choose exactly what packages you want to backup and/or restore, and lets you manage multiple backups. The cracked versions are all corrupted though, so I suggest you purchase the program. It's $10 but well worth it.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
do NOT use XBackup. The program you want is called PkgBackup. It's amazing.

...The cracked versions are all corrupted though, so I suggest you purchase the program. It's $10 but well worth it.

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I had seen it before I bought the xBackup (I bought it right before you replied). It didn't work. It made the local backup, but kept getting communication errors. I finally decided that the local copy would still be present after the backup, restore, etc. I was wrong.

Good advice re the cracks. I don't even install installous. I used to, to try apps before buying, but just rely on heavier research now. Kind of sucks, because xBackup SUCKS!!! Wasted $1.50. I would rather have gotten a hamburger!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.