Few questions about iMac ( please check )

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Babba, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Babba macrumors member

Hello all, lets go directly to my questions :p

1) I'm moving my house in 2 weeks. So i was thinking of buying a new computer but no PC. So i decided to go for an iMac. Mac pro's are way expensive for me.( in my country, apple products are twice expensive than us )
    So i decided to buy an imac 2.8.
    Is Imac 2.8 using core 2 duo extreme cpu? it doesnt say extreme on my local apple store's website not the guy in apple store know anyhthing about it..
    I asked if it's extreme or not and he said no its core 2 duo...:)
    does all imac 2.8 has extreme cpu ?

2) I read forums about imac and some people say that imac's has some screen problems...i'm a graphics designer/3d modeller so screen might be important for me...

3) Would you prefer to buy a macbook pro 2.5 instead of imac 2.8? ( does macbook pro's has some internal problems also..the things with the gpu?)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1) Yes the 2.8 is a Core 2 Extreme
    2) The 24" is a very good panel, so I don't think you should have any issues.
    3) People like to exaggerate, and I don't think there is a graphics issue at all. However it's not to say there isn't, but I haven't have issues, and none of my friends have either.

3. Babba thread starter macrumors member

thanx a lot for your clear answer alphaod. Do you think i should choose a macbook pro 2.5 over imac 2.8? I mostly do some graphic design..i don't play any games and all..and the rest is surfing, listening music....

4. xpipe macrumors regular

You can see the specs for the iMacs here: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

According to that, it's a Core 2 Duo.

I haven't had any problems with my screen. I love it. But I guess some other people have. Same with the thing about the laptop. That's the bad part about computer forums; all you hear about is problems, and you become totally paranoid about everything! I know I am :D

I wouldn't want any laptop over my iMac, no way. At least not for home use.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hi Babba, to answer your questions:

1) The previous 24" iMac had the option for a 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme. The current 24" iMac has a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo processor. The older 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme had 4MB of L2 Cache and a 800MHz FSB & the new 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo has 6MB of L2 Cache and a 1066MHz FSB.

2) The display used in the iMac (20" or 24") is a high-quality display. I am typing this post on a previous generation 20" 2.4GHz iMac and the display is gorgeous.

3) I would go for the MacBook Pro over the iMac only if you need/want the portability of a notebook computer. Otherwise, I would go for the iMac.

6. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I a very sure this is not true

7. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I am 100% sure he is right. His specs are spot-on.

To the TS: I'd recommend going for the iMac over the MBP, but if you're really into portability, then get a MBP.

8. passingXstorm macrumors regular

I'm also 100% sure this is true. All the current iMAcs use Core 2 Duo processors.

9. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

sorry my bad i just thought they continued useing them. In never saw an announcement that i changed but w/e. Glad mine has it :p

10. iWantiPhone macrumors regular

im pretty sure that the 2.8 is a extreme. look up X7900.

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

'Extreme' doesn't mean anything though!

It's just unlocked for easier overclocking, and you won't want to be doing that without extra cooling anyway.

12. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

u cant over clock an iMac and actually i believe that extreme refers to the the fact that Intel over clocked it originally