few questions about Mac from windows user

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bubulol, Dec 20, 2013.

1. bubulol macrumors 6502

hey, i ll get MBA within couple days and i never touched Mac OSX before
    after spent so many years on Windows, i got sick of windows issues although seven is pretty stable
    i have fews questions about mac OSX

- is it true mac OSX is intended for computer novices?
    (although i have some basic computer knowledge, i consider myself as an average user, google does help alot)

- the big issue on windows is every couple months, system getting laggy or fully unusable after driver crashing (couldnt even boot)
    it takes time to format and re-install all program.
    then i found it wonderful software: Acronis True Image. it duplicates a system disk image.
    i heard about Time Machine, is it same thing? really necessary (copying system disk image)

- i wish keeping external drive for both computer, Macbook Air and my own PC
    external drive includes multimedia files
    how to read and write on both system and machine?

- where can i find a nice noob guide for mac OSX?

thanks, if similar threads already exist, i will delete it ;)

2. And macrumors 6502

And

is it true mac OSX is intended for computer novices?

No.

i heard about Time Machine, is it same thing? really necessary (copying system disk image)

No, it is not exactly the same, though you can buy drive cloning software if you want it. It probably does what you want though, it keeps the drive backed up on a regular basis.

Simple, plug the external drive into the the PC then into the mac, it will read it.

where can i find a nice noob guide for mac OSX?

Amazon? A web search? Have a look on the apple site there used to be a section for switchers.

thanks, if similar threads already exist, i will delete it ;)

I'm sure they do, have a search. But the internets can cope with the odd repeated thread!

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

- is it true mac OSX is intended for computer novices?

Novices may find OS X easier to use than Windows, however there is nothing limiting about OS X, and its power can scale from novice to power users. You will find that fewer things break on OS X, so you don't need to be an expert to keep your system running.

With time machine, you can restore all your apps and user accounts onto a new or reformatted Mac, via Migration Assistant. It is simple and it works. Personally, I have been running macs for over six years, upgraded the drives several times and upgraded the OS through six versions, and I have not once needed to re-install my apps or manually restore any personal files.

Use a Fat32 filesystem for the most flexibility in reading and writing from both systems. exfat is another choice, which does not have a 4GB limit on filesize per file, however I've found it uses very large blocks, so you can waste a lot of disk space if you're saving thousands of files.

- where can i find a nice noob guide for mac OSX?

There should be a lot of info out there. A simple overview from Apple for Windows users is here: http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Mavericks for Dummies

Mavericks ~ The Missing Manual

Coming soon to a Barnes and Noble near you