Few questions about Mini 4 please

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Peter Franks, May 26, 2016.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Couple of basic questions about the iPad mini 4, I'm used to the iPhones and MacBook Pro, so not have any experience of the iPad at all. Finally succumbed to one though

1) Out of interest why do they say this is 'in the box', what is that part that fills that hole in to make it square, circled in pic, mine doesn't look like that? That quarter is filled with a plug that sticks out. What makes that flush square and why? My adapter on the MacBook Pro looks like that, but that's not what is actually in the box.

[​IMG]

2) Do you not see that white circle moving when you shut down the iPad like the iPhone?

3) Notice the lock sound is far louder on the iPhone than this is, It's barely audible, Is it controlled separately to the main volume? I know that iOS9 is not identical on phone to iPad but expected it to be louder than phone?

4) Anyone bought one of those £29 Apple front covers, can't believe it's a separate piece to the back cover, at that price. Are they worth the money? I notice it overlaps the right hand side and it's not flush to the iPad? And the back cover is even dearer? Any good recommends for a one piece version of these?

5) Can I charge the 5S with the same plug as the one that came with this?

Thanks for reading....

2. bensisko macrumors 65816

1) Not sure about the UK version, but on the US version the prongs fold down.
    2) Nope - no circle on mine while shutting down.
    3) Is the notification volume muted? I guess I never noticed the lock sound.
    4) I bought both the front and the back. I like the front cover, only use the back cover when traveling.
    5) Yes.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    Enjoy the Mini! It's a really great device!

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

1) North American wall sockets are shaped differently. I see from your location that you're in the UK, so your plug will be different. The North American one one has retractable prongs.

2) Not sure what you mean. Do you mean the spinning circle at the top when your device is working on something? I don't shut down my phone and iPad often enough to notice.

3) I think there is a volume control for this in the settings. I'm not sure since I have the lock sound off.

4) Not sure about in the UK, but Amazon in the US and Canada has many less expensive one-piece alternatives, like this: https://www.amazon.ca/JETech®-Seria...d=1464308725&sr=1-1&keywords=ipad+mini+4+case

5) Yes, and it will charge faster too, as an iPad charger has a higher wattage.

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, makes you wonder why the UK Apple site shows the US plug 'in the box' instead of this one. I did wonder if there was a section missing.
    [​IMG]

Yes was talking about the spinning wheel when iPhone shuts down. Amazed that this turns off so instantly. Not quickest starter but good enough.

I've seen videos on YouTube that show that front cover flush to edge, the one I got hangs over the side a bit. Maybe you need the back cover with it? May change front cover for all in one.

I'll check out those volumes, and if it's part of notifications or on it's own

Thanks again both of you for your speedy helpful replies

5. bensisko macrumors 65816

My cover has a tiny bit over the side, but fits perfectly with the back case on. I think that extra bit was designed with the back case in mind.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah right, thank you. Thought it was just unlucky, because I saw one in the shop that looked a better fit, but I think that did have the back on too.

With regards to the app store on the iPad, when you click on an apps to download, I'm surprised you get a pop up which makes the width of it no bigger to read than the one on the iPhone? Can you not adjust this so these open as a full page instead of these over-lay pop-ups? Like the format of the iPhone app store when you view an app's details on one page. I know you can enlarge the fonts in Accesibility, but I don't like it stuffed in these pop ups, I want to see the whole page as the descriptions. Makes no sense to me that it's no different to viewing it on the phone when you think about the size of it? Is that just the way it is and will stay....? Suppose it's just what I'm used to from the iPhone for several years.

Speaking of which..... Don't get me started on why the reviews have never been put back to date order like they were all those years or more ago! Mad that they just left them all out of date order. That's been a bug bear of mine for years. Love to know why they changed it

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Good points. Who knows why Apple does it that way? Perhaps you could leave feedback.
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Makes no sense does it, especially as it used to be in date order.

I think I did leave something few years ago, no harm in reminding them ... May need a few people to do it. I'm surprised nobody ever mentions it anymore

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't read App Store reviews that often, so hadn't noticed it was out of order. And the pop up size isn't that annoying on the bigger iPads -- they are quite a bit wider than on the iPhone.

10. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually very disappointed how many of these apps that I have used on the iPhone for so many years that now appear as quarter page pop up overlays over a full page that could be used instead as it is on the phone. IMDb for one example but loads use that same format as App Store. And all the email apps that when you use in landscape and some portrait that you can't get rid of the list of emails on the left hand side when you want whole page. This is taking some getting used to. Nothing like the iPhone usage formats which I thought it would be. Presume you do get used to it. Few glitches after couple days. Number on App Store icon for update and there isn't one. But would like to think I will get used to all my moans.

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Couple more questions please...

When you send email on iPhone with attachment, before sending it offers you that option of reducing the size so it's a smaller attachment. Is there any way to set that up on this iPad?

Also, anyone else get those 2 vertical lines on screen left from the inside of the Apple cover, that takes elbow grease to remove, every day? Design flaw, or only certain colours?

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I can't speak to the first question because I don't use the stock mail app, but regarding the second, yes, I've noticed that I can see on the screen where the folds of the Smart Cover were, but it wipes off easily and isn't very visible while the screen is on, so it doesn't really bother me.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. Wondered if it was a common thing as I couldn't see it mentioned.

The mail thing, I thought the iOS on the phone would replicate on the iPad when sending attachment like this. [​IMG]

14. bensisko macrumors 65816

Yep - those have been there since the first Smart Cover on the iPad 2. What happens is a mix of stuff on the screen and stuff on whatever surface you put it down on when the cover was folded back makes it easy to see where the cover is touching the screen.

As to the mail app, it only reduces for photos when you initiate the email from the Photos app (as far as I know).

15. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. Good to know it's the norm

The email I sent was from the photos app and it didn't show, and that pop up offering the reduction didn't show up. The grab above is from the iPhone email. Have you seen it on iOS9 from the iPad?

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

You need to click in the cc: line after sending your image from photos, then you will get the small/medium/large/actual option.

17. bensisko macrumors 65816

I think it only shows up if the total is above a certain threshold (probably 2 MB).

Just tried a couple. If I send one image, I don't get an option. If I send 2 (where the total was 2.1 MB), I get the reduction option. I also tried a single panorama and it came to 10 MB so I got the reduction option.

18. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Wonderful. Thank you. While you're there, when I copied and pasted my work signature from Mac to iPhone in mail, it was identical but iPad shows it much larger. Any work around for that? Thanks again people