Few questions about my MBA 13 inch 128gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tmartin89, Dec 30, 2014.

1. tmartin89 macrumors newbie

I received my very first MacBook for Christmas and I'm enjoying it so far, just have a few questions.

Firstly, if I buy movies on iTunes but don't want to store them on my MBA, what is the best way to store them? Can I use an external hard drive? Same with songs, I don't want to have a bunch of media on my laptop like I did with my last one because it slowed it down so much, am I best just putting everything on my external hard drive?

Thanks!

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

You could get an SD card like the PNY StorEDGE or Transcend Jetdrive Lite, and store it all on there.

3. tmartin89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Just had a look at them, look pretty good!

I'm guessing you just use the same process to store media on it as you would a hard drive? Just seems like they are much more portable that an external drive.

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Few questions about my MBA 13 inch 128gb

Indeed, it's just seen as another disk. I had the StorEDGE in my Air, and now have the JetDrive in my retina MBP.

Make sure you get the right model for your machine as the depth of the SD slot is different between MacBook models. For example my StorEDGE sits flush in the Air but sticks out quite a bit on the MBP, hence why I bought the JetDrive.

I also believe the JetDrive is faster than the StorEDGE, so given the option get a JetDrive for your Air.

Edit: Just looked and you want the JetDrive Lite 130 for the Air.

5. tmartin89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm guessing the main advantage of using this instead of a hard drive is that it's more portable?

I've never done this before, I've always had my media on my laptop so I'll need to mess around with it for a bit and see how it works.

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Yep, if you don't use your SD slot for anything else it's the perfect solution.

7. tmartin89, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

tmartin89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for your help!

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

You're welcome, enjoy!