Few questions about new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zenit, Mar 6, 2011.

1. zenit macrumors member

I am very intrigued by absolutely fantastic specs current Macbook Pros have. Maybe even thinking about ditching my Macbook Air + W510 for a new macbook pro 15".

However a have a few questions about the whole thing?

1. Can the optical drive in Macbook Pro be replaced with a 2nd hard drive or solid state drive? Can that drive be made to be bootable? Is it a major surgery to get it in there?

2. Can 2 monitors be hooked up to MBP while running them in extended desktop mode (not duplicating)?

3. Did Apple use revised version of chipset or is the SATA bug still present?

2. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

The optical can certainly be taken out and replaced with either an SSD or HDD. I believe it can be made to be the bootable drive, but keep in mind that the optical bay uses SATA II while the other bay is SATA III. So if you get one of the newest SSD that use SATA III you'll want it in the other bay. It isn't that hard to install a disk into the optical bay.

Not sure about the monitors.

Apple stated that they are using only the revised and non faulty chipsets.

3. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

OWC ... Macsales.com sells a kit for the optical drive ssd / hard drive swap. They have a video on the whole thing. It's not too crazy.

Monitors ... Not sure ... With a Gig card on the quad MBP my gut says yeah on dual monitors but ????

Chipsets are not the flawed ones that caused delays.

Good luck now go buy one ... You won't regret it.

4. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

1. Yes, it can, and afaik its not hard at all to do. You will need to buy the Data Doubler from OWC, which is basically a shell in the form of the optical drive that you mount your 2.5" SSD onto. see www.macsales.com

2. There's only one thunderbolt/mini display port so im not sure how you can hook up more than one external display, i don't really know.

3. Yes, I checked myself with my 2011 13" MBP and it does have the B3 Revision (problem chipsets are B2 revision).