Few questions about ppc gpus

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LarsG5, Sep 22, 2016.

1. LarsG5 macrumors member

LarsG5

Hi,
    I've got some questions about upgrading gpus in Power Macs:
    1. I have recently installed Nvidia Quadro FX4500 in my PM G5. Is there any good reason to install the stock gpu in 8x PCie lane, except for using more than two screens? I mean, is there any performance improvement by using two gpus instead on one?
    2. Is there any way to flash ppc gpu for using it in a PC? Ive tried to google it, but no results.
    3. What do you think guys, about creating a spreadsheet document, where each one of us could write informations about gpus upgrade possibilities for each model of PM, including info about vram type and size, need for flashing etc.? So everyone could just simply open the document and find all the informations one can need while trying to upgrade his PM?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Some software on more recent Macs can take advantage of a second GPU to improve performance, but in a PowerPC Mac it isn't likely to make much difference unless you run two screens.
    It should be possible to flash a PC card firmware into a Mac card, just as a PC card can be flashed for Mac, and I think some have done it before.
    Starting a wiki thread here with GPU options for PPC Mac owners wouldn't be a bad idea. We already have the OpenMark scores thread which should help with deciding which GPU to get.

3. LarsG5 thread starter macrumors member

LarsG5

Hey, thanks for the answer. Yeah, I was just curious after reading this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1009950?tstart=0

Btw, thanks for the link to the benchmarks, sometimes i really seem to be blind, like how on earth have i not seen this before :O