Few questions about some comic book reader apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by gagugagu, Apr 18, 2011.

1. gagugagu macrumors regular

hey guys. just a few questions about some comic apps

with the dc comics/marvel apps, how often do they update with current issues? im hoping to start reading comics (big batman fanatic. kinda wanna get into the comics now. i usually just buy posters, collectibles, etc) and i wanna start with the superman/batman series. and when i last checked (today), the latest issue updated was mid last year when the last release was this year. will this be an issue?

2. Gaelinic macrumors regular

This is one of the main reasons people look for other sources of digital comics. Almost everyone with an iPad finds their comics through other means. PM me if interested.

3. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

A good site with free public domain comics is the DCM or Digital Comic Museum. The stuff is old but a great read. You can download directly using iCab.

4. g/love macrumors newbie

:confused: can't seem to PM you... can you PM me to discuss other means :D

5. prisoner6 macrumors member

Same here. I would be interested as well.

6. Gaelinic, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

Gaelinic macrumors regular

I'm talking about torrents. Not really a secret. Almost everyone that reads comics on their iPad has hundreds of gigs of scanned comics. It encourages them to purchase the comics the like. Most of the comic apps discussed on these boards or offered at the App store are to read the .cbr and .cbz comic files people have scanned of their "private" collection.

Googling "Bittorrent wiki" will give you more information on how this is done.

7. prisoner6 macrumors member

Is there a difference between .cbr and .cbz as far as feature or quality? Is there a preferred one?

8. Razeus macrumors 601

Comics

I'm wanting to "find" comics for my iPad 2, but the apps (Marvel, DC, Comics) are lacking.

Can you help me with my "find"?

9. Gaelinic macrumors regular

<sigh> Give me time until tonight when I get home from work. I'll provide you with links when I get home.

The first thing you need is BitTorrent client software on your computer. My favorite for the Mac is Transmission. It uses fewer resources and is seemless on the Mac.

10. Gaelinic macrumors regular

I'm not sure about the difference. For some reason, I've noticed .cbz take up less space. But these decisions are usually made by the person scanning.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

For me, "panel" view is an absolute *must* for comic reading on the iPad. It made comic-reading more enjoyable than it's ever been for me.

The Marvel app does the best job with panel view, but I don't like their comics. Dark Horse does a passable job, and I love their comics.

Unfortunately Dark Horse doesn't have much in their selection. No Aliens or Predator comics, for example.

12. g/love macrumors newbie

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/06/16/comics-ipad-comic-books/

Pretty good article on how the ipad is going to either crush comics or save them. The writer has hit the issue (no pun intended) of digital comic piracy spot on. He compares it to mp3 piracy of the late 90's when it took the music industry the better part of a decade to catch up to electronic distribution.

Even now, none of the latest comics that hit the shelves are offered in digital format. As the original reader pointed out, some are at least a year behind.

Plus, wouldn't it be great to own the Essential volumes at a reasonable price in digital format... what a great idea.

I am really looking forward to the day when comic book/ graphic novel publishers evolve into the way the music industry is now developed.

maybe we need a itunes store for comics.... 0.99c - 1.99c per issue and i think their profits will explode.