Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple ios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Well, hello everyone, I have few questions about syncing to my future MacBook. Firstly, I had synced my iPhone to my old PC couple of times, but I didn't checked some boxes (contacts and photos) because I didn't want (I use dropbox for photos and gmail for contacts). So, if I want to sync with my new MacBook, but can't transfer my files from one Library to another, can I do this:
1. Plug my iPhone and authorize computer
2. Transfer purchases from iPhone
3. Uncheck things that I don't want to be synced (contacts anf photos)
4. And then sync

I have some songs on my iPhone, but I don't mind losing them.

Will everything be the same on my iPhone like before (apps, contacts, sms)?

Thank you in advance, your advice is higly appreciated. :)

apple ios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Because I don't have any external hard drive at the moment, so I was thinking about this method. Do you think it would work?

Thanks for reply.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Because I don't have any external hard drive at the moment, so I was thinking about this method. Do you think it would work?

Thanks for reply.
If you don't have an external hard drive how are you backing up your old PC? All hardware fails at some point. Best to have a good backup plan if your data is worth anything to you.

Reactions: apple ios

apple ios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I haven't had this PC for long time, so I don't have data that I want to transfer. But when I get my MacBook, getting an external harder drive will be my priority, so I tottaly agree with you.

I just hope that I could sync this way.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I haven't had this PC for long time, so I don't have data that I want to transfer. But when I get my MacBook, getting an external harder drive will be my priority, so I tottaly agree with you.

I just hope that I could sync this way.
To your original question, yes that should work. When you connect the Mac with iTunes to your phone it will allow you to sync what's on the phone to iTunes. You can select what you want synced on your phone to iTunes. Just make sure you have it set to only sync checked items.

Only problem I've had syncing with iTunes is it removing PDF files I downloaded directly to my iPad and didn't have in iTunes.

apple ios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
To your original question, yes that should work. When you connect the Mac with iTunes to your phone it will allow you to sync what's on the phone to iTunes. You can select what you want synced on your phone to iTunes. Just make sure you have it set to only sync checked items.

Only problem I've had syncing with iTunes is it removing PDF files I downloaded directly to my iPad and didn't have in iTunes.

Thank you for answering my question, I am happy that it could work this way.

And I am also going to have a look on the method which works over WiFi.

Sorry for bothering, but I have one more question :). If I decide to copy my iTunes Media folder, can I just copy Music without Applications folder. All apps take about 8GB of space, but I can just click Transfer Purchases from my iPhone to new MacBook, so I don't need to copy them manually. Am I right?

Last edited:

apple ios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Sorry for double post, but I think I edited last one late, so you maybe couldn't see what I had asked. :)

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Sorry for bothering, but I have one more question :). If I decide to copy my iTunes Media folder, can I just copy Music without Applications folder. All apps take about 8GB of space, but I can just click Transfer Purchases from my iPhone to new MacBook, so I don't need to copy them manually. Am I right?
That should work fine. It can take some time for the transfer so don't do it when you're in a hurry to go somewhere.

apple ios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I have just found out that Transfer purchases is disabled by Apple :(. So now, when I want to add something to iTunes Library I need to download apps manually from iTunes?

That also means that now I really need an external hard drive to transfer. Oh man, I hope everything ends up right...
Why would they remove this feature??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.