Few questions about the 1.7 firmware.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrislaw, Jan 6, 2010.

1. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

so every time i upgrade my MBP i go and uncheck the 1.7 firmware. should i just delete it? is it never going to work with the after market HDs? Is the 1.8 out and im not getting it b/c i havent dl'd the 1.7?

also, my brother is going to be buying a new 13" mbp very soon. he wants to get the 500gb scorpio blue just like i did. Is he going to be able to? do the new ones come with 1.7?

Thanks.

2. Smoothie macrumors 6502

EFI 1.8 has not been released, and I don't believe Apple ever acknowledged the problem caused by 1.7 and third party drives. It's looking doubtful that Apple will address this since it's been about 7 months since the problem was first reported. Some people theorize that the SATA cable in the mid-2009 MBPs is causing the problem. If it were me, I would wait until Apple releases the next revision of this machine to see if it's any better at handling SATA 2 speeds.

3. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I use the Hitachi drive that came with the MBP 13 and it too has problems. I think the cable is the problem, i saw someone said they replaced it somewhere in another thread and it worked fine afterwards. I still stick with 1.6 and doing fine with it :D

4. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

ok, can anyone that has bought one recently tell me what version of the firmware the new one comes with?

5. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw