Few questions about the 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chuck67, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chuck67 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! :) im really excited because next month im going to be purchasing a Black(maybe white not 100% sure on this yet) 16GB iPhone 3GS!! gonna have to pay a high deposit but the iPhone is so worth it! but I have a few questions about the device and i hope that you pros can answer all my questions thoroughly and in detail for me. :)

1. I have a ipod touch 2g, and after jailbreaking and adding such things such as sbsettings, and winterboard etc. it really begins to make my ipod really sluggish/laggy. how do these things affect the 3GS? with its added power does the phone begin to lag with winterboard enabled? or is it still just as fast as it is before you added winterboard etc?

2. another question is how is the speaker sound quality on the 3GS? I read reports on other forums that the 3gs actually has a louder/clearer generally better overall speaker than the 3g. is this true? how would you guys rate it compared to other cell phone speakers? is it LOUD?

3. White vs Black. which color do you you guys/gals prefer? ive heard that the black doesn't show dirt but shows scratches really bad. but then i heard that the white doesn't show dirt but gets dirty, but may begin to get discolored and turn a brownish color. also ive seen the white in person and i think the black just looks much more sleek/cleaner. what about u guys?

4. Also since u have to pay a $30 data plan with the iphone, what are the limits? does using safari/cydia, downloading apps videos, web based apps cause your bill to go up, or is it pretty much unlimited? you can use the network as much as u want?

5. I've read about the iPhone 3gs have a yellowish tinted screen. :( i was very sad when i first read about this because i thought that the touch 2g, and the 3g were already "warm" enough, and to tint the screen even warmer is just overkill. but i heard this was a fault with apple and that there are indeed 3gs's out there with normal screen temps, like the touch 2g, and 3gs. how many actually have a "warmer" screen? how is it? does it interfere with watching videos, looking at pictures? also did anyone exchange theirs and get a normal screen? how many times did it take you?

6. what does the "airplane" mode do on the iphone? when turned on does it save battery life?

thanks for all your help.

2. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

everyone of your questions has been discussed ad nauseum already. try using search and you'll find all your answers and then some..

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Trust me, you'll love it. But do your own homework!

4. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

1) I don't know. I didn't jailbreak because I don't want to potentially mess up my phone.

2) The speakers actually sound pretty good. Very loud, very clear.

3) The black is much better. If you aren't stupid with it, it won't scratch.

4) The only plan you can have is unlimited, so go nuts.

5) No, the screen looks great, no tints of any kind.

6) Airplane mode turns off any phone and web browser function. It becomes just like an iPod when you do. And I would imagine that it saves battery, but I don't know because I only use it when I'm on a plane

5. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

You can switch wifi back on after airplane mode is enabled. The phone transmitters/receivers will stay off, but you are able to do anything that you can normally do on wifi on your phone (Safari, app store, facebook, etc).
    In airplane mode with wifi on, it is essentially an iPod Touch.

6. frunze macrumors member

I've said this elsewhere already, but you want a black phone because research shows that having a white border is distracting to the eyes (although I know that it doesn't actually have a white border, but when you're watching a video, you're apt to see some of the white case as you turn the phone etc.). Besides, white is for appliances - refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers. Get the black iPhone, seriously.

7. chuck67 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys! but i am a bit baffled by ilounges statement here -> http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-iphone-3gs-16gb-32gb/P3

I don't understand this at all. ilounge states that the 3G S has a more bluer tint reminiscent to that of the first gen iPhone. but from reviews, and other peoples assumptions the 3G S screen is actually more yellow than the iphone g.and the iPod touch 2g! :confused: maybe they got a defective model? oh and just by looking at the screen above the 3G S(pictured on the right) looks obviously more washed out/worse color, then the iphone 3g on the left.

8. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Re-read it. It never says bluer. Also, it says the 3G is on the right.