Few questions about the iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OllieDS, Sep 4, 2012.

1. OllieDS macrumors member

Hi, I have a few questions about the iPad, any help would be appreciated:

- Can I use iMessage on the iPad without having a mobile phone or mobile telephone number?

- Can I use other clients like WhatsApp through the iPad without having a mobile phone or mobile telephone number?

- Is it worth waiting for the new iPad or would it be ok and sensible to buy one within the next few weeks?

Thanks

2. zeetee96 macrumors member

iMessage, Yes, you can set messages to be received via your email address.

Whatsapp - No. The apple store wont let you install it on the iPad (So i hear, i have no personal experience with whatsapp or similar clients)

I bought my iPad 3 yesterday, at most, if the rumors are true in a couple of weeks we will have an iPad mini (unless thats what you want) and MAYBE an iPad with a new dock connector, but it will have no extra features. Like i said, i bought mine yesterday. I would say it is a great time to buy.

3. OllieDS thread starter macrumors member

Cool, So my phone is in the last month of its contract, was thinking of just selling it and getting an iPad because I contract my friends through iMessage and through Facebook messages anyway so I could really manage without.

4. zeetee96 macrumors member

I dont think I could live without a phone really... Just for that extra portability, the fact you can ring people on the go... The reason mobiles were invented :p

It wouldnt have to be anything special though if you take your iPad to most places. I plan on using it to replace most of the things my laptop does, e-mails and everything else... I just wouldnt say it could replace my iPhone :) But then, thats just me!

5. tann macrumors 68000

I don't know about Whatsapp but you can definitely use Kik on iPad.

6. ManicMarc macrumors 6502