Few questions about UK unlock iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vendettabass, Sep 20, 2007.

1. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

ok, seriously considering the iPhone atm.. but the £35 is just way too much. I basically just want the phone, the iPod and the internet (with wifi) so im not fussed about upgrading the firmware etc which would break the unlock..

a) Can I unlock the phone to one of o2's SIMplicity SIM's
    b) Would Safari and YouTube work with WiFi with an unlocked phone
    c) Can I unlock the phone before registering the £35 monthly contract in iTunes.
    d) Will I be able to use the Cloud service at all

thanks a LOT!

2. LCaller macrumors regular

a) don't know as yet. The firmaware on the UK phones is going to be 1.1.1 and until it comes out no one knows if this will break the current unlocking programs. Most of us think so.

b) You don't need to Unlock your phone to get Safari, Wifi etc etc working you just need to activate it. That can be done by Jailbreak. Point to note is that YouTube doesn't work right now as it seems restricted by US IP addresses

c) If the unlock works then i see no issue here. If you then want to stay with O2 then just restore the phone to the uncracked firmware.

d) I am on the cloud. The cloud do not care what network you are on they just see a Mac address. If it'll be the "free" service this is being offered i doubt it as I'm sure the O2 activation must tie in to the Cloud service somehow to register your mac address.

3. AndyGarton macrumors member

4. vendettabass thread starter macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I guess its all down to how long it takes them to unlock the new 1.1.1 firmware. I'll only be getting it around christmas so hopefully they'll have it done by then. It'd be fantastic to be paying £15 monthly, getting my calls as-well as having web on wifi.

Living in Manchester, I'm sure it wont be too long until the whole city is wifi covered!

5. MiLK© macrumors member

Also note you can subsribe to the Cloud for £6.99/mo through their website.

Thats what i'l be doing, and combining that with an unlocked US iphone, and a *much* better o2 contract.

Also o2 said at the conference that they would be releasing their unlimited data plan to all o2 customers on 1st October, so I will also add that to my existing contract.

All in all I should end up with a £40/mo contract with 800min and 500texts + WiFi + unlimited data. Much better than the crappy contracts they are launching with the iphone.

6. vendettabass thread starter macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

really! to all customers? I'm looking at the £15 monthly SIMplicity SIM

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Surely there will be a charge for that on non-iPhone contracts?

8. MiLK© macrumors member

Yes, I'm pretty sure they will charge for it. Based on comparing their other tariffs , its valued at £20, pretty steep... See my other thread for more details

9. npdale macrumors member

mine arrives on sunday - im gonna unlock it and sign up to T-Mobiles unlimited wifi for £10... much better than cloud....

Having said that if O2 reduce their tariffs I will sign up to them... but I think it'll be a group effort to convince them...

Sign this and spread the word... :)

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saynotoO2/

10. npdale macrumors member

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on. Please keep us posted.

12. MiLK© macrumors member

Sweet :) Mine arrives next saturday, cant wait!

What tutorial/method are you gunna use to unlock?

I will be using this: http://www.iphonegoboom.com/#easy

Although it will be a little more complex because firmware 1.1.1 will be out by next saturday, and the unlock requires 1.0.2. And I think they are currently shipping with 1.0.0/1.0.1, so i'm gunna have to find a way of ugrading to 1.0.2 without it going to 1.1.1....if you get me...:p

Apparently thats all possible though, havent looked into it yet properly.