Few questions: .mac still available? + Got an activation code: still need creditcard?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by mgpg89, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Really interested in subscribing to MobileMe, but I have a few questions:

1) is it still possible to get a .Mac address instead of a Me.com ? I really like the service, but I hate the domain name.
    (say I can get my hands on a .Mac retail box and I subscribe using it, will I get a .Mac address then?)

That leads me to question number 2:

2) If I buy a MobileMe/.Mac retail box, will I need to insert any Credit Card information or will the activation code in the box be enough for activation?

Thanks in advance

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

As far as I know, it will be me.com . I setup my .mac before MobileMe was launched purely because of this.

No, you won't need to enter your credit card details at first, but when it comes to renewal, you will.

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Thanks Willis!

So I can just buy a new box whenever I want to renew in case I don't want to use my credit card?

And about the .Mac question ... can anyone else help me out with that?

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Willis is right - you can no longer get a .Mac email address. There's an FAQ on Apple's support site that obliquely covers this (emphasis mine):

How long do I get to keep my @mac.com address?
    As long as your account remains active, your @mac.com address will work as it always has. However, if your account is cancelled and you return later, you will only receive an @me.com address.​

I have seen a direct answer to your specific question that states that new accounts will only receive .me domains, but I can't find it at the moment...

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Yes, you can use the activation codes to create a new account, reactivate an old account or renew an active account.

As already stated, any new account made will be Me.com