Few questions on buying a non-contract iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WiiDSmoker, May 21, 2010.

1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I am thinking about paying for the iPhone 4G in June. I am wondering what the benefit is buying it without a subsidized contract. Are the plans cheaper? I'm not changing carriers so that doesn't benefit me.

Thanks

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The plans are the same. Just no contract and you can leave at any time.

3. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well the point is you're not bound by a 2 year contract and what looks like AT&T's excessive ETF.

Personally, I'm becoming a fan of an unlock and/or unsubsidized phone. I just ordered a nexus one, so I get a new phone w/o affecting my contract.

5. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would also like to know how much the 4th gen iPhone is expected to be without a contract. I currently have a 3GS on ATT and I was wondering if upgrading to the new one when it comes out would be worth it. Anyone know?

7. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Most likely the prices are going to stay the same, $599 and $699. However, Apple and AT&T may not offer no-contract iPhones at launch. You may have to wait a few months.

8. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

"For those who are not eligible for an early upgrade or who wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB)."
    -Apple's iPhone Buy Now page.

Hopefully the prices stay the same or are lower when the new iPhone comes out. Sucks I'll have to drop $500 (after selling my 3G), but I'm sure it will be well worth it :)