Few questions regarding dvd burning

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by airattack111, Mar 24, 2010.

1. airattack111 macrumors member

Hi guys I designed a menu for a local company in photoshop and saved as a .png image size 1900x1080. I need to burn this image to a dvd and be able to stick the dvd in the tv (36 inch hd plasma) and play it as a movie.

What should I do to burn this image to a dvd as a .mov file, or w/e will play on the tv.

Are the image properties correct? The tv is 1080p so I set them image like that as well. Does it need to be smaller/bigger?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you want to burn a video DVD?

Then know, that video DVDs need to have a certain structure, like a VIDEO_TS folder, which has several files in it. for example the video, which is MPEG-2 encoded.
    So you just can't burn a .png or .mov file to a DVD and expect it to be a video DVD.
    Also video DVDs use Standard Definition (SD - predecessor of HD), so the content will only be 720 x 576 (PAL) or 720 x 480 (NTSC) in resolution.

If you use ROXIO TOAST TITANIUM though, you can burn HD content to a normal DVD and let it play back in a Blu Ray player.

Look for guides on how to burn Blu Ray content via Toast onto a normal DVD via MRoogle, or the little sister Google.

3. airattack111 thread starter macrumors member

It will be playing in a dvd player, not blu-ray.

What size should I make the image? I'm not sure exactly what to do, I just want the 1 image on a single dvd playing all the time "because it's a menu".

How do I go about burning this and keeping the quality decent?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Is the TV located in North America and parts of South America or Japan? Then you have the NTSC broadcast standard. If it's another country you use PAL or SECAM (France, Russia, some African countries, ...).

[​IMG]

Better have a look at these three Wiki articles, to confirm my statement.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECAM

Do you want to play the menu in 4:3 or 16:9?
    [​IMG]

How much text is on that menu?

Can it fit 720 x 576 pixel and be still readable?

Have a look at Burn, it's free and able to create and burn video DVDs.

5. airattack111 thread starter macrumors member

16:9
    ntsc
    Here's the menus attached, 1 for each 36inch screen. right now there at a 1080p resolution, what do i downsize them to for dvd 16:9 res?

Attached Files:

6. airattack111 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help also, I'm trying to get this done tonight as he needs them tomorrow morning.
    Basically now I just need to figure out 2 things.

What do I need to downsize the file to "in pixels" for the 16:9 dvd format?
    &
    What should I do to burn the image to play on the TV?

Basically pop the dvd in and the image shows up, or if it needs a menu or something... I'm just confused on that part.