Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknownfps

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
I dropped my 5S and it cracked my screen.
Luckily I bought an AppleCare+.

I was wondering how long does the Genius Bar take to replace my phone screen?
Is my phone in a case where the phone has to be replaced completely?
Last one, my phone is jailbroken and I really do not want to lose my jailbreak... does Apple void or deny replacement service if my phone is jailbroken?

Pics in the attachment

h4ZwgVS.jpg

FQ96tMb.jpg

hmWYtsV.jpg

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
You're going to have to get rid of your jailbreak or your warranty won't be valid.
If he just goes in with the phone off they will likely just swap the phone entirely instead of changing the glass.

There was a thread a few months ago where a user admitted upfront that his phone was jailbroken and they still swapped it (though they - understandably - gave him a hard time).

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
they will replace just the screen not the iphone. They take iphone give you ticket with barcode and ask you to come back in 30 min. When you come back they ask for your picture id and give you your iphone back.

i would leave the jailbreak and see what they say at the store

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Technology the warranty is already voided by breaking of screen.

Apple can't blame the jailbreak on that. Just leave it on and don't even mention it. Tell them to replace the screen not swap it.

Oh wait they can't replace the 5S screen though. Or they couldn't back in feb.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
they will replace just the screen not the iphone. They take iphone give you ticket with barcode and ask you to come back in 30 min. When you come back they ask for your picture id and give you your iphone back.

i would leave the jailbreak and see what they say at the store

As has already been stated, the jailbreak voids the warranty--so "seeing what they say" might be the genius telling him that he'll now have to pay a lot more to fix it. Granted, he may get a person who doesn't notice or doesn't care--but one can't count on that.

OP, I'd definitely remove the jailbreak before taking it in.

Technology the warranty is already voided by breaking of screen.

Apple can't blame the jailbreak on that. Just leave it on and don't even mention it. Tell them to replace the screen not swap it.

Oh wait they can't replace the 5S screen though. Or they couldn't back in feb.

No it's not voided by the broken screen--since he paid extra for AppleCare which covers broken screens. He'll have to pay a $50 deductible but that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.