Few Questions (Standard First Time Mac User)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runofthedill, Dec 22, 2010.

1. runofthedill macrumors member

Hello, first time mac purchaser, never ever thought I'd make the switch til I got to grad school and everyone and there mom has a mac and loves them and I'm in the market for a new laptop. Coming from a HP with nothing but problems with the hardware and Vista which never worked well from day 1.

Here are my needs just so you know them. Will soon be an accountant so use of excel will happen but probably not to much with whomever I work for giving me a laptop for usage with work related stuff. But other then that, pretty normal usage, a lot of web and word document stuff. No crazy editing or anything. I do however have a pretty big itunes library at about 150 Gigs so the 500 gig hd is a must.

My questions;
    1. I need the large HD, would the stock 500 gig with 5400 rpms be okay, or would I notice a bump in performance with just installing a 7200 myself?

2. I've heard a lot of mention with people getting rid of the optical drive and installing an SSD, im sorry and probably missed a nice little topic about this with all my answers but can someone link me. I just can't afford a SSD big enough to fufill my storage needs or id just put that in.

3. I know i'm not demanding much from my RAM, but would 8 gigs give me a bump in performance, i'm just wondering if I'd notice anything at all.

4. Been watching the switching from windows videos on apple.com, any other resources on how apples differ making my switch even easier.

I'm probably either gonna keep staring at the refurb page for a few days and nab a 15 in off there or get one off amazon and order a hd as well putting me at about 1800$. On apple I got to stay around 1700 cause of tax.

Thanks, all help is appreciated.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

You should consider the Segate Momentus 500GB hybrid drive, although some people are reporting issues with it, I have had non in my 13" macbook pro. Many people put an SSD in and install the OS and programs on it for performance reasons, they then swap out the optical drive for a larger regular 2.5' drive for storage, so its something you could consider. There are 1TB drives now also so you can go with one of those to suite your storage needs. I would start off with 4GB of RAM and see how it performs for you, if you are using the macbook for general things such as word processing, email and browsing, it should be enough for you. Good luck.