Few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by svetloste, Mar 15, 2011.

1. svetloste macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I'm going to the apple store Friday to pick up my 17" MBP (might get a 15", gotta play around) and I was wondering a few thing.

A. Would there be mch difference between the 2.2Ghz and 2.3Ghz i7 ( I'm a desktop guy, so I'm use to buying stuff like a 920 and clocking). The 2Mb of extra cache seems benificial.

B. Is it worth getting 8Gb of ram From apple, I can get 2x4Gb of mushkin 1066mhz for $75 a stick, but it's not the same speed as apples. I can get 8Gb of corsair 1333mhz for $100, but from what iv heard only the mushkin will work.

C. I'm a big guy, will I really notice the 1.1Lb difference over the 15"? This will be carried around all day class to class.

D. Any knowledge on that Thule bag on the apple store that fits 17" MBP?

Thanks for all the help, like to know all I can before I sign the financing xD.

Also, about my Homefront thing, on a 580 and a 920 @4Ghz I'm getting 60Fps in 3D, so I'm guessing a MBP can probably almost max it... Looks to be 360 port graphics.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

A = no
    B = no to Apple Ram
    C= no
    D= no

enjoy the weekend with your new MBP :cool:

3. svetloste thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really, no difference for A? Also do you know if corsair ram will work?

4. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

A. Depending on what you are doing, you might never notice the difference.

B. If you are getting a 2011 MBP, you need 1333MHz ram, but get it 3rd party and install yourself.

C. I too am a big dude, I am about 6'1" and about 240lbs, but I prefer the 13" for my work, I don't game a lot, so the 13" is great for me.

D. No idea sorry, I like Booq bags for mine, but you might find nicer ones in store, the apple store reps will tell you which ones fit your mac and if they have a personal preference and why... this way you can decide more based on what you will carry with your mac.

5. svetloste thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I suppose I should mention I do a it of graphics design and photography. I'm in at 6'3" 220 myself heh. So that 1066 won't work? Odd, because iv used slower ram then spec in other machines, but this is apple we are talking about... Iv also heard only mushkin brand ram works?

6. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I am using Elixir, have used Kingston, Corsair, GSkill and A-Ram before, best I have used are kingston, and the elixir in my current spec.

Honestly, if the 13" will handle your portable workload, go that route, and spend the extra cash on an iPad or a SSD.

7. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I'm not quite a big guy, but I wouldn't want to carry around a 15" class to class. There's no way in hell I'd ever buy a 17" to carry for classes for a couple reasons. One is that it's big and heavy to carry. The second is the desks, as they always seem to be too small. I personally love the size of the 13". If I were you and needed the horsepower for gaming or otherwise, I'd buy the 27" iMac or a desktop PC and a base 13" MBP or MBA. Carrying that 17" day to day is not fun at all.

8. svetloste thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't mention iPads to me xD I used to hate Apple quite a bit because of those, I'm just starting to come back... damn iPhone 4 is impossible to refuse.

Don't really need a SSD, not impressed with the one in my windows machine, it's cool but... Well it's expensive...

On a side note I really cannot use 13 inch laptops, they are to small for my hands... (using a 11" netbook for school was he'll to say the least).

Heh, to the above post, I'm pretty set for a desktop xD. Would probably never own a iMac, I have to much fun building my own desktop.

9. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Your hands must be huge?!

Aren't the keyboards all the same on the MBP range?

Anywho, I would say, go the 15 then if you can go without the minor spec bump, go high res if you want to do design stuff, matte/glossy, is up to your personal prefs.

10. svetloste thread starter macrumors newbie

Iv actualy never seen a matte MBP, how does it look? Actualy come to think of it iv never had a matte monitor!

Its not so much the keyboard size, but the ammout of room on the sides and bottom to wrest my hands.

11. iwnz, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

iwnz macrumors newbie

I have a 15" glossy low res from work and a 15" anti glare hi res personal MBP. I leave my work MBP almost untouched. Just love the AG screen. I bought 8GB (2x 4GB) crucial 1333MHz RAM for my personal MBP (work came with 8GB) and I've had no problems whatsoever. With Engadget's MBP review, the speed comparisons convinced me that I didn't need to pay premium for the .1GHz spec bump. Also, Geekbench marks for what they're worth. So far, I have not been disappointed with the performance whatsoever but perceptions are relative to what you're used to.

So

A. No
    B. No to RAM from Apple
    C. A bit of a difference
    D. No idea

12. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

If I were you I would go for the 15 and get the hi res anti glare, especially if you are going to be using it in a lot of different lighting situations. I used my 15 mbp glossy during grad school and the lighting in the classrooms and the team meeting rooms made it almost impossible to use. It was my only regret with the computer. Def check out the antiglare...