Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bakes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Hey Guys,

My experience with the MBP, has been great so I'm planning to purchase a Mac Pro. I have a couple questions (1) Does it come with airport? Can I get on a wireless network? (2) Does the ATI 2600 XT suffice for games (ex. Call of Duty 4) or should I upgrade to the GeForce 8800?

All help will be appreciated

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If you've already bought your Mac Pro, you need to take it to an Apple Reseller/Store to get AirPort put in. (I guess you could try it, but it's not like the old one. I wouldn't recommend it.)

If you haven't bought yet, just choose AirPort when you're purchasing and it'll be preinstalled.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
im upgrading to a new macpro soon myself and im upgrading the graphics and wirelesss.

i dont game extensively but i have extensive visual games and alot of apps that could take advantage of the video ram and running 2 30" displays would be necessary.

id suggest the 8800, its only 60$ more instead of spending another 250 or so on a non installed model (that only has a 1-year warranty i believe)

goodluck and have fun!
i cant wait for mine either!!

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
im upgrading to a new macpro soon myself and im upgrading the graphics and wirelesss.

i dont game extensively but i have extensive visual games and alot of apps that could take advantage of the video ram and running 2 30" displays would be necessary.

id suggest the 8800, its only 60$ more instead of spending another 250 or so on a non installed model (that only has a 1-year warranty i believe)

goodluck and have fun!
i cant wait for mine either!!

I believe that upgrade from ATI 2600 XT to 8800 GT that Apple offers is $150 more...

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
You don't need to take it to the Apple store to get an Airport card installed. Go to the Apple store and ask them for an Airport card for the Mac Pro. It's about $50.

It's very easy to install. Remove bays one and two. Behind there are three black wires tucked up slightly behind the logic board. Use a paperclip to fish them out. Plug in the Airport card to the board and fasten the two screws. Simply attach wires one and three and tuck the third wire back away.

Your airport card is installed in easily less than ten minutes and you saved money by not having Apple install it. I did this to mine Monday night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.