Few random problems with my MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillJS, May 1, 2012.

1. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Hi all! I have a few questions I want to see if you guys can answer.

1. Whenever I restart my computer, Safari always opens up whenever I sign back in. The app is not running when I restart, nor is it set to run whenever I login. Any idea what is making it do this?
    2. Also whenever I log in my background changes itself. I have it set to one, and then when I log back in it resets to what I had before my current background.
    3. My computer also feels sluggish when first starting up. I do not have a lot of apps set to run on startup. Do apps like iBoostUp harm the computer in anyway? I run it occasionally and apps like Onyx and CCleaner as well. Am I doing something wrong or just not enough?

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me! :)

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

1. You don't have the Quicksilver plugin installed in Safari do you? I heard this can cause Safari to start when you log in.

2. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_...ting-in-os-x/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=readMore

3. You can try a few things, mainly disabling start up applications. Its not hard to start up the application yourself when you boot. Try reseting pram. Reboot and hold down COMMAND+OPTION+P+R. Keep holding it down until it reboots itself once or two times to really get it cleaned out. You can also try running repair permissions, but I don't know if that would help or not. Also removing files,folders and misc from your desktop might help too.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

1) Likely a result of Lion's "restore windows" functionality. Also, make sure you don't have it set as a startup item.

2)Spaces

3) Yes, running apps like that at start up will slow down your computer. I'm not sure how "harmful" onyx is, however other members will be along shortly to explain why you don't really need (and shouldn't use) apps like that.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure Safari doesn't appear in any of the locations mentioned in the first 3 tips here: Performance Tips For Mac OS X
    Check the performance tips above.
    You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with with the OP's issues. Resetting it will not help.

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.