Few specks of dust under 27" iMac screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PatriotInvasion, Aug 23, 2010.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

So I noticed last night that there are a few specks of dust under the glass of my iMac's screen. They're very small and are in the lower right hand corner. I also noticed that the glass bezel itself is off center by about 1mm to the left. You can tell by touch and the fact that the iSight camera isn't perfectly in the center of the hole (very minor).

Other than those little issues, everything is perfect. I really don't want to lug this thing to an Apple Store to point out 3 specks of dust. I'm sure a Genius could have the dust cleared but I fear that by removing the glass, it'll just open it up to more dust particles and I could make a small problem even bigger.

What would you guys do? Just be happy that the screen quality is perfect (no tint issues) and enjoy the machine? Or, be super picky and settle for nothing less than perfection?:confused:

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

With a highly-focused laser, create a microscopic hole in the glass. Do this in an unobtrusive location. Attach a powerful vacuum pump over the hole, using a non-abrasive suction cup. Power up the pump and suck those dust specks into oblivion.

Seriously---just be happy and use the machine, rather than obsessing over dust specks and 1mm imperfections. :)

3. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

I wonder if the spec of dust that got in was due to the screen replacement. Is it posible that this is a returned unit which had its screen replaced and in the process, a little debris got inside?

4. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

I know - just being OCD. I love my iMac, but I'm just not sure how I feel about Apple using this whole glass panel cover. I remember my iPhone 3G having dust under the glass too and it's very annoying. Either make it air tight or do something different.

5. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

No way. This is a new 2.8GHz Core i5 27" iMac...which I bought 2 days after they were released.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

In the Genius Room in the back of Apple Stores, the Geniuses have a huge roller thing that they roll over the back of the glass and the monitor that removes dust before they put the glass back on the iMac.

Virtually every iMac brought in for repair requires that the glass be removed so that they can get to the guts of the machine.

I guess what I'm saying is that they do this about 20x a day. They're fairly good about not leaving dust. And I'm sure they'd turn your screen on for you while you're at the bar, to verify that there isn't any. If there is, it'd take them a whole 'nother 90 seconds to clean it out.

If it's not a big deal to you, don't worry about it. But on the same note, I wouldn't be afraid to take it to the store if it is bothering you.

7. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

This iMac is one of the MOST returned in iMacs history. Period.

Appl has a LOT of returned computers sitting around. When someone returns a computer that is one day old, do you think it goes inthe trash or they stick a new screen in their and sell it as new. I really wouldnt doubt that this is what happened. iMacs built new fro mthe factory do not have debris trapped inside the screens. Your screen was opened after the manufacturing and assembly. This is why you have debris. Don't be navie. Computer companies have been doing stuff like this for years. In fact, many ofthe big names have been fined plenty. Do some searching for refurbished computer parts making their way into NEW computers. Apple, like any other manufacturer, is not going to loss money on the massive amount of iMacs returned due to defective screens.

8. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Helpful reply, thanks. It's so minor that I'm sure I can go on loving my iMac even with a few harmless specks of dust under there.:p

9. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Dude...your theory is bogus. This iMac was released on a Tuesday and wasn't even in stores until late Wednesday. I then bought it on Thursday after work. The box - perfect. The packaging - perfect. There's no way it's a refurb...relax

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

Yes they occasionally do. I've seen brand-new ones with both dust and finger prints on the inside of the glass. :rolleyes:

11. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Well, I'm pretty sure you can find minor flaws in any product if you look hard enough. I'm going to stop looking so hard, and just enjoy the machine.

In fact, I'd rather keep my originally purchased iMac and accept little flaws than to return it and taint the entire purchasing process entirely. Haha - OCD, I know.:p

12. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

For anyone who has tried to remove the glass panel briefly themselves to remove dust behind the screen, how easy is it to put the panel back in place? Are there crazy little pins, or does it just snap back into place magnetically?

13. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Hey there,

You really should consider taking it to the Apple store, they thrive on pleasing customers. There is no doubt in my mind that the Apple store would help you with your problem! It's not an inconvenience for them, that's is in fact, what there being paid to do!

As far as doing it yourself, I remember reading some old threads about how easy it was so try using the search function! *Might* void warranty, maybe not though...

14. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Same. I have a speck about the size of 5 pixels in the center-middle-right area of my screen. It is between the LCD and backlight panel. Is there a way to dislodge it easily? I really don't want to return this i7. It has a quiet Western Digital HD and is otherwise fantastic!

15. Detrius macrumors 68000

About it being 1mm off-center, just push it back into place. It's held on with magnets. They're strong magnets, though, so it'll take a bit of force.

Even WITH the rollers, it's still difficult to guarantee that there's no dust inside. I've rolled these things three or four times and still had a couple specks of dust inside. At some point, you just have to accept it and move on. So long as there's dust in the air, it's impossible to guarantee that there won't be dust inside when the thing gets closed.

16. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Thanks for the tip. On the 1mm off center situation, can I really just push it over with my thumbs? Will it actually move? I know it uses a magnet but aren't there some kind of pins involved as well?

I've been hesitant to use any kind of force for such a minor flaw, but the fact that the iSight camera hole isn't perfectly centered bugs me a bit...any more info you can provide on this will be helpful.

Thanks

17. Mars2010 macrumors member

My iMac has a hair (about 1 cm) stuck behind the glass at the bottom left; I only notice it when the screen is white, so not a big issue. It's in the shop right now for a more serious problem, and I told the repair person about the hair. Perhaps he'll remember to get rid of it for me; he mentioned they have a tool for cleaning the screen, much like a lint roller for clothing.

18. Detrius macrumors 68000

The newer iMacs--the ones with the glass that goes all the way to the edges--don't have any pins underneath, so you should be able to nudge it back into place with the palms of your hands. It's even possible to take the glass off with just your fingers.

19. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

I tried last night and the thing doesn't budge. As I said, it's only about 1mm off and is so minor I'll probably just live with it.

20. muziq macrumors member

muziq

for anyone having trouble with dust under the screen...

this is such an easy fix, it's ridiculous.

goto your local Bed Bath and Beyond. if you are in the USA of course..

or some Home goods store..

check the bathroom section

they have these super strong suction cup hanger type things..

for like $3.99

there is one that is the size of a half dollar, but strong.

slightly moisten the suction cup, but in corner of Imac screen..

tug gently, and just like that, glass comes off...

clean and dust both sides of the glass CAREFULLY..

try and use rubber gloves so no finger prints

as well as some anti-static cling brush...

you are good to go..

found all info here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cHMHzq5E5I

Very helpful..

good luck!

21. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

As I said earlier, if you do this, you are almost guaranteed to invite a lot more dust behind the screen than what is currently there. You may think you did a good job, but then you'll put the glass back on and notice another one, and another one...and then before you know it, you're taking the thing off 3 times a week. Not good.

I'm just living with the speck or two of debris behind there in the lower right corner. After the initial shock, you slowly start to forget about it while enjoying the awesomeness of the screen.

God, this forum can make you insane if you're not careful! Haha.

If you do care that much, I'd have a Genius do it at an Apple Store. At least that way you know it was done right.

22. CRaDe macrumors newbie

Takes 20 secs to fix

Just received my new 27" Imac, and I also had a black piece of dust in the lower left corner of the screen. I used a suction cup and latex gloves, took me 20 seconds, and the spot was gone. No new pieces of dust got under the glass. So unless you live in an extremely dusty environment, this is no issue at all.

23. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

In my case, the dust is in the LCD panel itself. I tried tapping on the screen but I get the idea the glass is absorbing all of the force so it's pointless. Has anyone been able to dislodge dust trapped in the panel itself?

See my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7F8hwG6vjM

24. Leon575 macrumors member

Leon575

Buy a gas duster (canned air) and give it a decent blow behind there.