Few Thunderbolt queries

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by snerkler, Jun 2, 2014.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

I've recently got into photography and been doing a lot of processing using aperture and photoshop and am finding my 15" MBP screen just isn't big enough so was contemplating getting an iMac. However, there's nothing wrong with the performance of my late 2011 MBP with Hi-Res screen so was thinking a thunderbolt display might be a better/cheaper option so was wondering if folk wouldn't mind answering a few questions please?

1. Does the thunderbolt work as a 'replacement' screen for the MBP, or does it simply mirror it?

2. If it works out as a standalone screen would it take advantage of the full resolution, or would it only be the native resolution of my MBP which is 1680 x 1050?

3. If it uses the full 2560 x 1440 if I took a screenshot would it save it at the thunderbolt resolution, or would it save at the MBP display resolution.

4. I calibrate my screens using 3rd party software, if I calibrated the Thunderbolt display would this then change the display on the MBP and so I would have to go into system preferences and choose the correct calibration for the correct screen, or would it automatically switch between displays?

Any info much appreciated. Obviously before I make a final decision I'll wait for the WWDC to finish to see if they announce a new display.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You've never used two screens before have you?

The answer is that the Thunderbolt display can be both. You can mirror displays, you can "extend" your desktop so it crosses both screens (at any resolution you choose including independent resolutions on both displays) and it can also be the ONLY display.

Because the monitor is independent of your built in display, you set the calibration of the monitor and it in NO WAY has an effect on your built in display.

As for screen prints, it will take the resolution of whatever display is displaying (or both if you are extending).

Really this is all true for ANY external monitor whether it's a TBD or not.

P.S. the above is also true if using say a Mac Mini with multiple displays or an iMac + external. This is also true in Windows and Linux. All OS's act as above.

3. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. In that case are there any screens that would work as seamlessly as a TDB with as good/better resolution?

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

For photography I would recommend an NEC Spectraview or Eizo CG model.
    Better brightness and colour control along with mat screens.
    23, 24, 27 or 30 inch available. I have a Spectraview 241 plugged into my iMac and the screen is so much better than the iMac for photography.

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Is this just purely a monitor or can I run peripherals from it such as extra hard drives?

How do third party monitors connect?

Does the better colour really matter if I'm going to calibrate anyway?

6. metril macrumors newbie

You can't teach a dog how to fly. They don't have wings.

Like what I said above, you can't magically take any monitor and calibrate it and have it produce accurate colors. Color reproduction is hardware and software dependent. If you just have the software (ie. calibration and photo editing tools), then you still won't get accurate color reproduction.

@OP

I suggest you flex your Google foo and read some photography blogs and read up on thunderbolt peripherals and multi monitors. You seem to lack some knowledge that without, what we reply will confuse you.

7. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, looks like I need to read into it more.

8. carmona macrumors newbie

I'm not connecting thourgh thunderbold, but through HDMI on my MacBook Pro Retina and get accurate and equal colors with the StudioMatch function of my Spyder.

As metril mentioned, the calibration won't make a Bimmer out of your Beetle, that would make these calibration tools much more expensive. ;)

But a calibration will ensure that you get the most horse power possible out of your Beetle. :cool:

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

When I used Spyder Elite 4 on my 15" rMBP and ATD monitor with an sRGB gamut, the before and after was identical. Note I said for sRGB.

A key question is for photography editing....do you want to do sRGB or the wider Adobe RGB gamuts? If you don't understand the question or know the answer for your case.....time for some more research.

For me as a hobbyist, sRGB monitors are OK. When I win the lottery, I will have a 12 core Mac Pro connected to calibrated 4K monitors. ;)

10. carmona macrumors newbie

This happens sometimes in the Spyder software. But if you change into "System Settings -> Displays -> Colors" and change between other standard profiles and the calibration profile you'll see the difference.

11. MCAsan, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Perhaps. But why would I want to use the other profiles? My prints from my Canon Pixma Pro1 match my screen very well.

WWDC this year was all about Yosemite and IOS 8. We will have to wait for the fall even for the new hardware launches including Macbook updates, iWatch, iMac updates, maybe a new Retina ATD...etc. We will also get to hear the full story on photography software. Obviously Photos app for snapshot shooters. But we need to hear what happens for the new photography app for pros and prosumers. It that is Aperture 4 or X...that remains to be seen. We will know more at the fall event in Sept or Oct.

12. carmona macrumors newbie

No, not to use them, just to see the difference between uncalibrated and calibrated if it won't work with the Spyder software. ;)