Few Windows Questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rickvanr, Mar 22, 2010.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Errr.

So I have a Mac Pro, and a gaming PC with XP.

I'm thinking of jumping to Windows 7. I'm just going to buy the upgrade for the PC with XP. The windows site says with XP you need to do a clean install.

If down the road I ditch the PC, I'll want to set up bootcamp for a game or too. Would I need to buy the full version, or could I install 7 from scratch using the upgrade disk? Or will I need to install XP, to install 7 over top.

Also, for just gaming, and a dedicated bit torrent box, which version would be best. Home premium or professional?

Thanks

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

1) The upgrade disc has a full copy of Windows 7. And you will want to do a completely clean install. So make sure you backup everything you want to keep.

2) Professional.

3. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Thanks!

Another question. I can buy 7 Professional OEM for half the cost of the retail version. The catch being, the OEM version is either 32bit, or 64bit, where retail is both. Both computers are 64bit. So is there any disadvantage to just getting the 64bit version and saving some money?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=867446

If you're OK with the fact that you are using the product outside its license, go for it. If license compliance matters to you go retail.

Besides coming with both 32 and 64 bit flavors, the license for a full retail version (non-upgrade) also comes with explicit transfer rights in case you want to move it to another machine. OEM does not. It might (and usually does) work if you want to move it, but it's not a right granted to you in the license.

B

5. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Thanks. OEM it is :eek: It's a miracle I'm paying for it.

Edit: Thanks for the help. Turns out Newegg has a deal, get windows, and get $60 off an X25M 80GB SSD. Looks like my Mac Pro will get some love too.

6. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Do installing Win7, it had a bunch of updates when the install was done. It installed ATI drivers for my 4870. Question is, on windows there is the Catalyst Suite. Do I need to install that, or is the driver windows installed itself enough?

7. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

The driver is all you need. No point in adding more buggy ATi software for no reason.