FF 3.6 vs. The Rest on Scrolling

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iammike1, Feb 7, 2010.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Every since 3.6 scrolling smoothness on FF 3.6 is incredibly smooth and far smoother then Safari and especially Chrome. You can really tell the difference in Google Reader for some reason.

Anyone know what they changed in 3.6 to achieve this? Honestly, it makes it harder to use Safari because it seems jumpy now when it used to be the most smooth scroller of the bunch.

2. ooninay macrumors member

I haven't noticed a difference between FF versions, but I have noticed that with FF's "smooth scrolling" enabled, scrolling is much smoother than either Safari or (especially) Chrome. Unless of course you have a magic mouse or mighty mouse, in which case Safari scrolling is bliss... but I prefer my Logitech with its standard scroll wheel, which makes scrolling jerky in anything but Firefox. This may seem trivial, but to me it makes a big difference and is one of the reasons why I haven't been pulled away from Firefox.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

last time I checked, chrome doesn't have smooth scroll at all.

4. ooninay macrumors member

There are at least a couple of extensions for Chrome for smooth scrolling. One I absolutely hated and the other ("Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller") is not bad once you've fiddled with its settings. Of course this is all very subjective, but I greatly prefer Firefox's smooth scrolling to any other.

5. kasakka macrumors 68000

It seems like there is "double smooth scrolling" if you enable smooth scrolling both in FF and in OSX.

It's a real shame that Chrome doesn't have smooth scrolling. At least it should support it the way other OSX apps do.

6. Aronnax macrumors regular