FF frustration

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade, Jan 4, 2009.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

I'm trying to load Firefox onto my iMac G5 Tiger (10.5). When the download finishes and I try to open I get this message: "There is no default application specified to open the document "Firefox-setup_3.0.5.exe."

Which application should I use?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

.exe is a Windows format, so it may be the case that you've downloaded the wrong version. Make sure it is the Mac version you have, then once it's downloaded open up the .dmg and drag the app into your Applications folder. It should then – fingers crossed – work fine.

3. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

FF Frustration

Aarrrgghh. I shoulda known about the EXE file. In any case, I downloaded FF 3.0.5.dmg but it still won't open. All it does is blink a couple of times.

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

When you double-click on the .dmg file it will mount on your desktop under the Macintosh HD icon. Double-click on that and you will be able to install Firefox into your Applications folder.

5. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

FF frustration

FF allegedly installs into the App folder during the download after I move the icon into it. The icon is, indeed, present in the App folder but it won't open either from the desktop icon or the icon in the App folder. I thought FF was supposed to be easy and seamless.

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Not to point out the obvious, but I think you are doing something wrong. Firefox is easy to install, and opens just fine for me on all Macs.

7. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You need to move the file found inside the .dmg to the Applications, not the .dmg file itself. Once you double click the .dmg you should see a new disk mounted near the hard drives in the finder window. If you click on it you should see the firefox icon. That's the icon you need to move to the Applications folder.

Here are some more detailed istructions with pictures:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installing_Firefox#Mac_OS_X

8. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

FF frustration

Curses. I think I see part of the problem.

Firefox 3 is for OS X 10.4 or higher. But here's the situation: I'm new to Mac (as if you couldn't tell) after years with a PC. I have a "rescued" Tiger G5 that I obtained from a neighbor who was preparing to send it back to Apple for recycling. Since there was a lot of person stuff on the HD I ordered new installation disks from Apple. Then I wiped the HD and installed from the new disks.

Now, I think the disks install OS X 10.3.9, not at least 10.4.11 which was on the HD when I got it.

So I guess I either have to find an earlier version of FF or figure out how to upgrade from 10.3.9 to at least 10.4.11

9. LowEnder macrumors member

For OS X 10.3.9, use FireFox 2
    and also give Camino 1.6.6 a try
    good luck!