FF3 Awesome Bar Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soctechnologist, Jun 10, 2008.

1. soctechnologist macrumors member

I'm having trouble with the FF3 location/awesome bar. When I type in the bar and get a list of link/url options... I can click on these links and the address is put in the location bar window, but I'm not taken to the link. Even if I press enter and/or press the play button I get nothing. This is also true if I type out the entire URL in the address bar... I can type in www.apple.com, press enter or click the play button and nothing happens. I have, on occasion, had the bar work for the first time after restarting FF, but then it stops. Anyone else had this issue? Am I just missing something? Any ideas?

Macbook, OSX10.5.3. FF 3.0 RC2. Using GrApple Delicious (blue) theme, but have reproduced the issue in the default theme too.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there will be a RC3 out for Leopard today, you should wait and download and install that one.

RC3 is proposed and established solely because a new bug introduced by apple in OSX 10.5.3. There is zero change for other OSes, Windows, OSX Tiger, or Linux.

The test build is here ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/3.0rc3-candidates/build1/ if you want to try it. Final RC3 most likely will be no difference than this test build.

Another suggestion would be to establish a new profile for firefox 3 if not too difficult.

3. soctechnologist thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Clevin (I figured you might have some idea)... I've moved to the RC3 and will see if it solves the problem. Possible that it was related to the mac bug. If not, will try a new profile. Thanks again.

4. soctechnologist thread starter macrumors member

No luck with the new version... off to try a new profile.

5. soctechnologist thread starter macrumors member

Ugh. Did the whole new profile process and STILL have the problem. Essentially my location bar is useless. I can't use it at all to go to any URL.

Any other ideas? Could an extension be at issue?

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, very likely

try disable all exts, then enable it one by one and see if any of them is in conflict with urlbar.

PS. a new profile should erase all exts, how come you still have them?

7. soctechnologist thread starter macrumors member

yes, the new profile cleared all extensions, but I restored them through an extension backup... obviously now that the problem persists with the extensions restored... it's likely tied to one of them and not another aspect of the profile.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, yes, definite find out which one is bad here, worth a report...

9. soctechnologist thread starter macrumors member

Clevin, thanks for your follow ups to my dilemma.

I think I found the offending ext... I only had a couple that weren't yet fully compatible with FF3, so those seemed the likely culprits. The problem seems to be with All-In-One Sidebar which is updated for FF3 beta's but not the RCs. Once disabled, my location bar seems to be up and running. Apparently a FF3 update is in the works for it.

Thanks again, hope this helps someone else.

10. soctechnologist thread starter macrumors member

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I've discovered an interesting behavior that I wonder if any other uses of the All-in-One Sidebar extension can confirm. When using the lastest version (7.6RC1) with FF3 I've found that when I only have the Sidebar's toolbar open, my location bar doesn't function (as described above), however, with the sidebar open to the extensions (only the extensions, not bookmarks or history) the location bar works fine. I've posted this in the AiOS forum too, but thought I'd see if anyone here who uses AiOS can replicate the behavior.

11. soctechnologist thread starter macrumors member

On the off chance that anyone else comes searching with the same problem. I've discovered this problem, for me at least, was tied to an issue between the AiOS extension and the Delicious Bookmarks extension. Removing the delicious extension fixed the problem with AiOS and the location bar.