ffmpegx compression - DVD menu, special features

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~eNVy ME, May 24, 2009.

1. ~eNVy ME macrumors newbie

Hi

I've decided to make backups of my commercial DVD's (yes, I own them) so that I my younger brother won't scratch my nice DVD's up on his DVD player and mishandling.

I've ripped the full discs with Mac The Ripper, compressed with ffmpegx, and then burned with LiquidCD.

It's all working fine, except for the compression part ... I may be doing something wrong (I'm new to encoding, and the interface of ffmpegx is scary :p) but I would actually like the main menu, special features, etc. that I rip to be compressed and burned as well.

:confused:

I've attempted finding some sort of tutorial for this, but I've been looking on an off for a whole two days, and I think my brain's melted ... Any help would be greatly appreciated (and preferably written in a language that someone like me can understand, or at least use the dictionary for!)

Hope someone/anyone can help, and thanks!

I know Handbrake compresses, but from what I've read/heard it only compresses for iPod usage, not DVD ?

If there are any details I've left out, please tell me and I'll post them!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

are you compressing it to another file format like mpeg4 and then burning? if you want to keep the menus and special features you need to keep it in DVD video format when burning.

i dont know if ffmpegx can compress DVD format but i know Toast has a compression feature when burning to fit on single layer DVDs.

3. ~eNVy ME thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm compressing from .avi to .dvd and then using the resulting TS_VIDEO to burn.

ffmpegx has a lot of different compression options ... I've been using the one that says 'DVD mpeg2enc', so that's DVD format, right?